Steering shaft. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering shaft.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Steering shaft.

I am about to begin the removal and installation of my steering shaft. It looks easy enough but I want to ask in advance if there is a trick to getting it off and on the gearbox and column. Or do I have to remove the gearbox to get the shaft out. The FSM only has a diagram but doesn't discuss the specifics about removing the shaft itself.

Thanks

stageninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Bump. Surely somebody has done this. I decided to save this project for another day. I'm talking about the shaft with 2 universals that attaches @ the steering column & @ the steering gearbox.

Unread 07-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Gearbox does not have to come out. Hit everything with penetrant first. Remove the heat shield. I'm thinking the airbox too just for some room to work. Then remove the two locking bolts. One from each end. Then pry the ends apart some so they will move on the splines. The shaft collapses upon itself. No reason to save this job for later. Shouldn't take more than an hour taking your time.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
stageninja
That Rigger Guy

1997 ZJ 

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. The shaft collapses.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.