steering problems/front wheels locking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > steering problems/front wheels locking

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-03-2003, 12:32 PM   #1
milotype2

steering problems/front wheels locking

Hello, I have a problem with my 94 Grand Cherokee. It doesn't do it all the time. It seems like after driving it for a while when I turn the wheels sharp, say while parking or turning into a drive, the front wheels seem like they want to lockup, then release, then lockup , then release, on and on. I can feel it through the steering wheel like its pulling at the wheel. The passenger side drive axle has been replaced so I pulled the drivers side and the best I can tell theres nothing wrong with the cv joints. I don't have alot of money right now and don't want to just start replacing parts at random. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

milotype2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Sounds like your viscous coupler is going out.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2003, 03:28 PM   #3
pygocentrus

i think i have the same problem in my 98, but i think its my tires, im not sure.
pygocentrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2003, 04:08 PM   #4
milotype2

What is a viscous coupler? Is it in the differential? Thanks!
Unread 09-03-2003, 05:08 PM   #5
Stocker

No, it's in the transfer case. It allows the tires to rotate at different speeds in tight turns, and will bind up when warm if it's failing.

Last edited by Stocker; 09-03-2003 at 05:11 PM..
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2003, 05:21 PM   #6
milotype2

Sounds like it could be the problem. I suppose you all know the next few questions. How much? How hard? Can I do it myself? Does the transfer case have to come out? Thanks!
Unread 09-03-2003, 05:54 PM   #7
milotype2

You know, I just got to thinking about it. How would the transfer case control how fast each of the front wheels turn when they are connected through a single driveshaft to the front differential? The differential controls the problem of the wheels turning at different speeds when turning the vehicle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again for any advice.
Unread 09-03-2003, 06:00 PM   #8
Stocker

Good questions all. While waiting for much better replies than I am qualified to give, try searching here and at http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/ and http://www.nagca.com/nagca.htm . Good luck!
Unread 09-03-2003, 06:04 PM   #9
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by milotype2
You know, I just got to thinking about it. How would the transfer case control how fast each of the front wheels turn when they are connected through a single driveshaft to the front differential? The differential controls the problem of the wheels turning at different speeds when turning the vehicle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again for any advice.
You are correct as to the front diff, but when turning, the front tires travel a greater distance than the rears. The VC in the t-case allows for the difference in rotation speed - until it fails.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.