steering play - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 04-03-2006, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
fireguzzi

steering play

First of all HI this is my forst post here.

I just bought a 97 laredo 2wd with the V8, there is a problem that i did not notice when i test drove it. The problem being that there is a good bit of play in the steering wheel and is more noticable at about 50 mph and up, wich is why my slow around town test drive didnt show this problem.

well i got to looking at it and when i have someone wiggle the steering wheel, the (i dont know the proper terms) shaft that comes out of the firewall is turning, then the shaft goes into the gear box? but the shaft coming out of the gear box(with the pitman arm on it?) does not turn.
This is just with a slight wiggle of the steering wheel. Obviously more of a turn will turn everything properly.

SO! my question is....... Is there a problem in that gearbox that is common for one with 160k+ miles? Or am i missing something else. thanks guys i look forward to hanging around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.