Steering Gear Box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering Gear Box

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
bambambubba5
1996 ZJ 

Steering Gear Box

I am looking at replacing my Power Steering Gear Box. My 96 ZJ is on its 6th! And I want to get to some off-roading and want something that will last and be strong. Anybody have any ideas on this? What mfgs, new or rebuilt, websites ect.. Be very helpful, thanks 'yall, I'm only 18 and just getting into this.

bambambubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambambubba5 View Post
I am looking at replacing my Power Steering Gear Box. My 96 ZJ is on its 6th! . . .
What are you doing? Replacing them with junk from a junkyard? I replaced my original steering box at 220k with a remanufactured unit from NAPA. Even then, it was "preventative" replacement. The original box was still working fine but I wanted to minimize the chance of failure on the trail.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

yah, agreed, im at 250k on my original box and its great after doing the steering box adjusments found on the FAQ page. why is it that you think you have to replace it?
Unread 07-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Slap a KOR or FortCollins brace on it while you're under there too... The box will thank you for it.

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Im on my 4, 1 stock 2durangos and im running grand wagoneer now with fortcollins brace, Also adjust your steering stops weld a nut on the end to prevent hyperextending the box that was my biggest issue
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squazz View Post
Im on my 4, 1 stock 2durangos and im running grand wagoneer now with fortcollins brace, Also adjust your steering stops weld a nut on the end to prevent hyperextending the box that was my biggest issue
yah, but most people dont wheel the livin piss out of theirs like you do
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
yah, but most people dont wheel the livin piss out of theirs like you do

I thought thats what it is all about
Unread 07-30-2011, 01:00 AM   #8
bambambubba5
1996 ZJ 

Thanks guys. The person who had the ZJ before me kept taking it to a shop filled with idiots....a shop that was truly an oil change/car wash. yeah not so good for big stuff. i had to throw in a junkyard box when it broke due to i was broke and had nothin to spend. now i got some money coming in so i will def get the box from NAPA since i know they have good parts and that brace from KOR is on my list. I cant find fortcollins parts anywhere tho for the steering box brace. any suggestions on how to find him? I really apperciate yalls feedback. helps so much. I'm in the middle of putting on my 3 1/2 inch lift right now so this truly helps!!
bambambubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #9
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

He is a member on here pm him to get hold of him i also suggest reading his build thread to sample some his work
Unread 07-30-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
Crasher
1997 ZJ 

FWIW, I am going to modify my steering box to feed a hydraulic assist cylinder and was asked by one of the providers which box I had. He said that the later Jeep boxes had moved the lower sector shaft bearing up to get the seal up inside the housing away from dirt. Doing this, however, created a longer distance from the bearing to the pitman arm, which is more prone to flexing and taking the seal out sooner. The added distance causes the sector shaft to be more prone to breaking. My Waggie box has the seal down at the bottom, so is the better of the two designs. I don't know where the change took place and neither did he. He said it was easy to see the difference by looking at the output of the sector shaft for the seal location. If it is at the "VERY" bottom, it's the better design.

Tags
power steering , steering , steering box

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.