steering gear - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-09-2017, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

steering gear

Well after two years 2 years and six months the gear I rebuilt has started leaking at the pitman seal. Box is performing flawlessly still but just leaking. I still have to get up under there and see if the seal failure is due to pitman shaft movement slop or something else. The shaft had some seal area wear but polished out easily. I have another shaft out of the original box that appears to have less wear and I am taking it to the machine shop to have it miked and professionally polished. One thing I am going to explore is the possibility of using a third seal on the end of the shaft if the bore and shaft will allow it. I don't know how it would affect operation but I don't think it would. If the shaft is moving side to side then it wouldn't be an option since no seal will stand up to that. I just am not ready yet to buy a "new" box with parts of unknown origin and only has a year warranty anyway. I am somewhat hard headed in that aspect.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-09-2017, 07:40 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Bummer. I had the same thing happen on a power steering pump I went through. At least you know who to blame.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-12-2017, 09:35 AM
jeepjeepster

Maybe I shouldnt but I say this every chance I get... Dont buy a red head steering gear... First one had a dead spot, the second one leaked at the output shaft, third one is doing 'ok' but every now and then it will growl at me when Im turning. Its not the pump...

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/65,155 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi

post #4 of 5 Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

I put on an AC Delco reman as part of my suspension rebuild, and after less than a year, it's seeping from the side cover seal. I wonder if this gasket is a weak spot as my old one was seeping from there too. I've tried checking the torque on the cover bolts, and removing the rubber plug in the reservoir cap to ensure proper venting, but it didn't help either the old one or the new one.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-15-2017, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Had the pitman shaft polished on thursday. Also found a source that has a few new ones for a 1996 I think it was , but I don't know if they are the same as the 98. Haven't had time to explore the gear, as I've been fixing stuff I paid other people to do.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.