Steering is clunking at steering wheel extremes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering is clunking at steering wheel extremes

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 07-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
eboyer7
1995 ZJ 

Steering is clunking at steering wheel extremes

Hi. I have a 95 Grand Cherokee V8 4x4. About 2 months ago I started noticing that my steering was clunky when the wheel was turned to either extreme of steering. By "clunky" I mean that there was a clunking noise, and the vehicle was noticeable slowed down by the clunking, as if the axle was trying to get over some bump or imperfection in an axle component. It only happened very near the steering wheel extremes, so this was only a problem when parking. So, I checked out my front axles, noticed the CV boots were completely torn, and so replaced the front axles with brand new ones. But, the clunkiness wasn't totally gone after that. It was better, but not perfect. Also, it happens more when reversing.

So, what could still be causing the clunking? The tires are the right size and there's no suspension mods on it. I looked underneath while someone else drove the vehicle at full steering, but couldn't figure out what the problem was (although, it was pretty hard to see everything under there).

eboyer7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
eboyer7
1995 ZJ 

My brother said the problem might be the clutches in the limited slip differential. The Jeep noticeably loses power when the clunking happens (in other words, the vehicle is noticeably slowed down), so maybe the clutches are worn out and not grabbing properly at the steering extremes. Anyone else think this may be the problem? I don't know much about LSDs (), but this sounds like a possibility. If it is the clutches that are wearing out, will this cause any problems? Like, would the LSD suddenly fail/break?
Unread 07-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
DigitalVex
2013 JK Wrangler 

Your NP 249 transfer case viscous coupler is shot. Search "NP 249 transfer case"

SOLD:
2002 WJ Overland. Stock with all the options (except navigation)
1991 XJ Laredo 4dr 4.0L AW4 D30/CHY 8.25 NP231 SYE 4.5" RE Lift 1" spacer front/ 5.5" 10 pack Nationals rear 150,000 mi 32X11.50 ProComp AT's

Last edited by DigitalVex; 07-25-2009 at 05:15 PM..
DigitalVex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
eboyer7
1995 ZJ 

Should I be in a hurry to replace the transfer case?
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalVex View Post
Your NP 249 transfer case viscous coupler is shot.
Sounds like it to me as well. Try this .... drive your jeep around for awhile and get it nice and hot. Do some figure 8's in a parking lot. Try to coast through the turns. If it want to bind and hop real bad it is the VC inside of the transfer case. A very bad/binding VC will wear your front end parts (your new CV's)very fast.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:57 AM   #6
eboyer7
1995 ZJ 

I did that figure-8 test a while ago when I first discovered the problem, and it does hop when coasting through the turns.

The problem is that I'm going on a 3500-km road trip starting tomorrow. But, I'm guessing this worn VC will only cause problems for the front end parts (or other parts?) when turning sharply, and hence not cause too much trouble on the highway? *fingers crossed*
Unread 07-26-2009, 03:02 AM   #7
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Yes , the stress is only applied when turning but the VC will want to lockup more the hotter it gets. A 2,174 mile trip is pushing it but as long as the VC does not totally lock up you will be fine driving straight. Some have driven on a bad VC up to 150,000 miles. Each case is different though.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2009, 03:12 AM   #8
eboyer7
1995 ZJ 

Ok, awesome! I probably won't be doing more than 300 miles on any given day, so it won't be a stressful trip for the Jeep. I'll definitely look into it when I get back.

Btw, would a worn VC be caused by shifting the transfer case out of 4-low at 20mph rather than 5, or whatever Jeep suggests? Cause I accidentally did that when I first got the Jeep, having forgotten what speed to shift at.
Unread 07-26-2009, 03:17 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

no, the vc is a wear item and will fail at any point after about 75k miles.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.