Steering Box Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering Box Replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

Steering Box Replacement

So I've been searching for reviews and coming up short. '98 Grand Cherokee Laredo, all 4 ball joints replaced, checked all tie rods and 2 ends are replaced. I've adjusted the steering box and it still wanders a lot and is all over the road.

Looking into possibly thinking its the steering box. main question is what brands for boxes are suggested. I know I get what I pay for, but the budget is tight on this.
Also, with everything I have replaced, i know there is a TON of slop in the box, it's binding and still has about 3 ish inches each way on the wheel, Other than a new box, are there any suggestions of other things to check?

Thanks

(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

Just rebuild it, way cheaper

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Might as well upgrade to the Durango box.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afdude88 View Post
Just rebuild it, way cheaper

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
I've thought about that, but haven't found too much detail on it. I've seen the saginaw rebuild thread but how am I sure that is the same box, and where to I get a rebuild kit? RockAuto lists a Lars rebuild box for $60 plus shipping and tax and core, I dont think that it's a bad price I just wanna know it's a decent quality before buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
Might as well upgrade to the Durango box.
this is for my girlfriend's DD, i don't think its that necessary
(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.