Steering Box Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering Box Replacement

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 05-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

Steering Box Replacement

So I've been searching for reviews and coming up short. '98 Grand Cherokee Laredo, all 4 ball joints replaced, checked all tie rods and 2 ends are replaced. I've adjusted the steering box and it still wanders a lot and is all over the road.

Looking into possibly thinking its the steering box. main question is what brands for boxes are suggested. I know I get what I pay for, but the budget is tight on this.
Also, with everything I have replaced, i know there is a TON of slop in the box, it's binding and still has about 3 ish inches each way on the wheel, Other than a new box, are there any suggestions of other things to check?

Thanks

(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

Just rebuild it, way cheaper

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Might as well upgrade to the Durango box.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afdude88 View Post
Just rebuild it, way cheaper

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
I've thought about that, but haven't found too much detail on it. I've seen the saginaw rebuild thread but how am I sure that is the same box, and where to I get a rebuild kit? RockAuto lists a Lars rebuild box for $60 plus shipping and tax and core, I dont think that it's a bad price I just wanna know it's a decent quality before buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
Might as well upgrade to the Durango box.
this is for my girlfriend's DD, i don't think its that necessary
(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.