Steering Box Adjustments - Fix your Floppy Steering - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering Box Adjustments - Fix your Floppy Steering

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 05-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #46
deermjd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket

Mine is not tapped for the hydro attachment line
I don't believe they have one. My understanding is that the steering box for the snow plow option Durangos is designed for the extra weight of the plow. I could be wrong though . I live in Alabama so I've never even seen a snow plow.

deermjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #47
FULLJEEP
2004 WJ 

does this works for a WJ, I have checked and the steering box is different
FULLJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #48
Donnyd21
1998 ZJ 

Just did this adjustment is my 98 ZJ, I had about 3/4" of play now its tight again
Donnyd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #49
blackieZJ
1997 ZJ 

was looking for a fix for mine before I tried to "wing" it. Glad i looked first...but...even though all your "tech-savy info" is fantastic, it lost me in the translation to my brain. i was just gonna turn the adjusting nut and hope for "good-enough"...lol Now I have a "what am I gonna do now" look on my face !
blackieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #50
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackieZJ View Post
was looking for a fix for mine before I tried to "wing" it. Glad i looked first...but...even though all your "tech-savy info" is fantastic, it lost me in the translation to my brain. i was just gonna turn the adjusting nut and hope for "good-enough"...lol Now I have a "what am I gonna do now" look on my face !
Adjusting the plug is relatively easy to do by feel, turn the stub shaft back and fourth while tightening the plug till you feel it binding, then back it off slowly till the stub shaft rotation feels smooth again, mark your position and tighten the adjuster plug nut being careful not to allow the adjuster plug to rotate any further!.

The internal thrust bearings the worm shaft and stub shaft ride on has 2 plates that are suppose to have a concave shape to them to provide a spring load effect when being adjusted. upon normal use this concave flattens out and there is where the play is most likely to be at aside from any other mechanical wear.

The over center is a bit more complicated but if you understand the mechanical nature of the gearing and how it meshes it becomes real easy to adjust, but for the average person who just wants to get it adjusted right the first time there's a ever so slight binding spot in the center of travel of the sector shaft, and it will bind 45 degrees either side of center then totally free up, this is normal and has to be adjusted so there's a certain amount of binding but not too much where it stresses the gearing enough to cause premature wear, this is why an inch pound torque wrench is used to gauge the tension needed. Guessing at it is very risky at best unless you have the feel for it.
Smokey1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #51
FAlfani81
1993 ZJ 

Hmm... This looks like something nice and free for me to do! I like those kinda projects! :-)

Great Write up!
FAlfani81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #52
Montaska
Mountains & Beer

2007 JK Wrangler 

I hastily attempted this and I think I screwed it up. At 250,000 miles I think I should just get a new one. Will I need to do any adjusting or should it be tight once when I replace it?
Can anyone verify this is the correct part? (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...483&cc=1182237)
Montaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #53
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

I know this is a little off topis, but I have a '94 XJ with 37k miles, wrecked body and no title. Plannin on rippin the steering box outta that for my '97 ZJ. Both are the 4.0.

Some part numbers match between the 2, others don't. It depends on which part you look at. I've seen some do all, some only list pre '96, and some only list post '96. Anyone out there know what the differences are?

I have the entire XJ so if I need a few other small parts to make it work, thats no problem.

So, long story short, will it bolt in, or is it even possible?
(o) )-o---) ) (o) )-o---) )______
jmonty0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #54
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonty0523 View Post
I know this is a little off topis, but I have a '94 XJ with 37k miles, wrecked body and no title. Plannin on rippin the steering box outta that for my '97 ZJ. Both are the 4.0.

Some part numbers match between the 2, others don't. It depends on which part you look at. I've seen some do all, some only list pre '96, and some only list post '96. Anyone out there know what the differences are?

I have the entire XJ so if I need a few other small parts to make it work, thats no problem.

So, long story short, will it bolt in, or is it even possible?
Far as bolting on it should be direct match, probably will have to change out the pitman arm and ya need to find out if the steering ratio is 14:1 or is 12.7:1.
Only way to find out is to physically turn the steering lock to lock, if its 3 turns its 12.7:1, if its 14:1 then it will be 3 1/2 IIRC...
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #55
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

Any chance that's in the build sheet?
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #56
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Any chance that's in the build sheet?
Don't think it specifies the steering ratio, i was trying to find the build sheet i requested years ago to verify but to no avail
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #57
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

Both build sheets list SBAS Power Rack And Pinion Steering
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #58
jmonty0523
1997 ZJ 

And worse comes to worse, what difference would the different ratio make?
Unread 10-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #59
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
And worse comes to worse, what difference would the different ratio make?
You will be turning the wheel more to make the turn if its a 14:1.
If its a 12.7:1 you will notice no difference in the amount of steering.
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #60
jscenrg
1996 ZJ 

This is a great write up! I think this is something I can do. My 96 has some "personality" to the steering that I'd like to get under control.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.