Steering Box Adjustments - Fix your Floppy Steering - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering Box Adjustments - Fix your Floppy Steering

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 09-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #31
newfieZJ
Jeep Collector

1995 ZJ 

I'm thinking more to back off the 'over the top' adjustment . You kinda indicate it bottomed out . I had much the same result once with that adjustment . I don't usually touch that one anymore , just the bearing preload . Moving it 2-3 mm per adjustment while on the jeep (5.9) It's taken most of the dead spot away with no bad effects . Gonna give it one more shot

newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #32
Elite04GC
2004 WJ 

Great illustration! Thanks for the step by step with photos.
Elite04GC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #33
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

so i actually just pulled the box.
1. by "seat it in the housing" in the first adjustment....mine wont turn clockwise and there are 3 threads showing, im guessing you dont mean seat it flush with the box (then there would be no room for the lock ring right?) but just turn till it wont turn any more, then back it off .5"?
2nd, does anyone remember their rotational in/lbs that they were shooting for. i dont have a baseline for adding 6-10 in/lbs
Unread 10-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #34
muzicman82
2011 WK 

Looks like a nice write-up. My '96 ZJ has around 357,000 miles on it, and the steering box is the original. I'm kind of thinking I should just replace it rather than adjust? Thoughts?

My steering isn't bad but it definitely isn't very tight.

Any thoughts on this one? Many of you know that Advanced Auto Parts has pretty good online coupon codes, so I can likely score this for $120 after I get my core charge back.

Input would be great!

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - 3.6L V6
42,000 (10/6/12)
muzicman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #35
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman82 View Post
Looks like a nice write-up. My '96 ZJ has around 357,000 miles on it, and the steering box is the original. I'm kind of thinking I should just replace it rather than adjust? Thoughts?

My steering isn't bad but it definitely isn't very tight.

Any thoughts on this one? Many of you know that Advanced Auto Parts has pretty good online coupon codes, so I can likely score this for $120 after I get my core charge back.

Input would be great!
Go to rockauto.com get the same box for $60.79 but dunno if the shipping would equal the same price at advanced or not...
Smokey1r is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #36
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
I'm thinking more to back off the 'over the top' adjustment . You kinda indicate it bottomed out . I had much the same result once with that adjustment . I don't usually touch that one anymore , just the bearing preload . Moving it 2-3 mm per adjustment while on the jeep (5.9) It's taken most of the dead spot away with no bad effects . Gonna give it one more shot
If anyone is having the continue to adjust the pitman shaft then its a good indicator the pitman shaft bearing is bad and is further deteriorating allowing room for more adjustments till the adjuster is bottomed out., might be high time to pull the box and replace the pitman bearing and seal, then redo the thrust bearing preload and over center adjustments and enjoy tight steering again, unless the worm shaft is worn out?.
Unread 10-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #37
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1r View Post
If anyone is having the continue to adjust the pitman shaft then its a good indicator the pitman shaft bearing is bad and is further deteriorating allowing room for more adjustments till the adjuster is bottomed out., might be high time to pull the box and replace the pitman bearing and seal, then redo the thrust bearing preload and over center adjustments and enjoy tight steering again, unless the worm shaft is worn out?.
Actually mine had a clunk at pitman and I was able to eliminate that via adjustment. I do have some play at the input shaft though. I have a dead spot at 12 o'clock. But I can atleast stay In a lane now._
Unread 10-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #38
93zjbums
1993 ZJ 

do i have to adjust the center adjustment or can i take all the slop out with tightening the top part where the steering shaft goes in
92 xj stock 358k miles wifes
93zjbums is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #39
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Mine's definitely due for this. Has about 3/4" of play and a light clunk, even after doing the over-center adjustment. Hopefully this proves not to be too much of a PITA and fixes it.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #40
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

In the past 3 weeks ive met the end of the stop gap adjusting the over center of the steering box, adjust it any further and i get a slight binding so i backed it off to the last adjustment plus the steering has a dead spot from 11 o clock to 1 o clock and is progressively getting worse. Happily i just received my replacement steering gear from a JY in Wyoming and it appears to be in excellent shape aside from the usual slight seepage of the seals, so ill be doing a full rebuild on it checking everything out to be certain there's no unseen problems. hopefully ill have the time to fully document the whole procedure and get the new to me box in the jeep ... finally get rid of the dead spot in the steering!!!
Unread 04-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #41
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

ok, so i got one for you
swapped in a reman durango box
i have some slight play in the sector shaft (pitman arm shaft) when its at full lock at either end but zero play at center
1.Is this in need of an adjustment on the top of the box allen head bolt?

also, lock to lock is 3 turns but there is a slight loss of turning radius
with my worn out factory box my 31s would rub my lowers
with this box they are about 1" from contacting the lowers at full lock....
im slightly confused by this
2. any thoughts on this??? and i havent touched my steering stops
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #42
deermjd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

There are two versions of the Durango steering box: one for models with the snow plow option and one for those without. One of these boxes has a less of a steering range than the other. This could could less desirable for some people but in your case it sounds like it fixed your tire rubbing problem.
deermjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #43
Smokey1r
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
ok, so i got one for you
swapped in a reman durango box
i have some slight play in the sector shaft (pitman arm shaft) when its at full lock at either end but zero play at center
1.Is this in need of an adjustment on the top of the box allen head bolt?
This is completely normal behavior for the Saginaw steering gear, the tightness at the center of the steering radius is to keep your center line steering tight stable with no play. This tightness extends to 45 degrees either side of center. The play increases as you turn further to the physical limits of the turning radius (full lock).

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
also, lock to lock is 3 turns but there is a slight loss of turning radius
with my worn out factory box my 31s would rub my lowers
with this box they are about 1" from contacting the lowers at full lock....
im slightly confused by this
2. any thoughts on this??? and i havent touched my steering stops
The Durango box could have a rack piston nut with shorter range of travel which would reduce slightly the turning radius despite the worm shaft having a 14:1 steering radius (3 turns lock to lock).
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #44
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey1r View Post
This is completely normal behavior for the Saginaw steering gear, the tightness at the center of the steering radius is to keep your center line steering tight stable with no play. This tightness extends to 45 degrees either side of center. The play increases as you turn further to the physical limits of the turning radius (full lock).

The Durango box could have a rack piston nut with shorter range of travel which would reduce slightly the turning radius despite the worm shaft having a 14:1 steering radius (3 turns lock to lock).
So I don't need to do anything unless I have play at the center of the sector rotation? I just don't want to blow the seal or break the shaft if I'm at full lock wheeling
I did adjust my turn stops on the knuckle to match the box so I don't over extend it.
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #45
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deermjd View Post
There are two versions of the Durango steering box: one for models with the snow plow option and one for those without. One of these boxes has a less of a steering range than the other. This could could less desirable for some people but in your case it sounds like it fixed your tire rubbing problem.
Mine is not tapped for the hydro attachment line

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.