Steering Ball Stud replacement. '96 GC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering Ball Stud replacement. '96 GC

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
jimjam515

Steering Ball Stud replacement. '96 GC

I need to replace my steering ball studs and am a competent DIYer with access to a good level of tools but not the Jeep special tool. Any one out there done this job without the Jeep tools, if so any tips as I don't want to book it in at the dealer.

Thanks, Mark.

jimjam515 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

It`s not hard with basic tools , what you will need without question is a proper ball joint tool . These should be rentable from your local parts store in alot of cases .

Loosen the wheel bolts
jack up at the axle , remove wheel
remove cotter pin and lock from the axle shaft
remove 1 5/16 or 36 mm nut off the axle(you may need someone on the brakes to hold it , a very good chance)
Remove pressure from brakes by squeezing the caliper(this makes removal and installation a breeze .
remove 2 bolts holding the caliper , they are 1/2"
Using tie straps , hang them so they are supported , don`t just dangle them from the lines
remove rotor
Remove cotter pin and nut from the tie rod end , using a hamme , tap the knuckle by the TRE until it drops , ususally 4-5 good taps will do . 3/4" nut on the TRE
remove the three bolts on the rear of the knuckle that hold the wheel brg 13mm 12 point socket or wrench
using a flat head screwdriver , start tapping it next to the top ear of the brg flange using the screwdriver as a wedge . Once separated slightly , repeat this at all 3 ears until you work it out . If you are replacing the brg , a BFH works great and will destroy the bearing .
pull side axle out (for just CV /axle replacement stop here and reverse order for install)

remove both cotter pins from the ball studs , then the nuts (sizes will probably vary from new to old , new should be bigger , make sure you have the sizes ).
with a hammer , tap the three side where the stud goes through the spindle on each joint , don`t be shy . Then , on the top of the knuckle , start pounding , 4-5 good smacks with a 2 pd hammer should do it , if not , just keep hitting , it will come off , if not upgrade hammer to bigger size .
Using the ball joint tool , set it up for the upper joint first , it gets pulled upwards , if you search google , or have an FSM , there are diagrams for this set-up
the lower ball joint tyou can hammer down and out , becareful of the edges so you don`t expand them and score the holes , these are press in fits . Or , don`t throw caution in the wind and set up the ball joint tool again .

Install is reverse order and use of the ball joint tool a must for both joint on install . Do not install the upper joint first as the c-clamp must use the hole for the lower joint install
Also , wrap some cardboard around the clamp threads that go through the hole for the upper joint , again , it stops any scoring should you come off center . Keep an eye in the ball joint tool , if it pulls sideways , back it off and start again .
The knucke has a slight offset , hopefully your ball joint tool kit has the offset "pipe" , if not , it will still work , just keep an eye on pulling and pressing the joints straight . I would allow a full day and hope it can be done in 4-5 hours your first time . I wish I had pics for you but broke the camera , I just finished this job on Saturday past .

There aren`t any good write-ups or step by steps out there , I did look too . Good luck with the job , there`s alot to take apart . If you need some pics and specs , I can give you what I have , PM your email my way

Last edited by newfieZJ; 03-04-2009 at 06:32 AM..
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
jimjam515

Thanks for that newfie, I've had the drive shaft out before for a new gaiter, so removing the knuckle is just a follow on, the problem will be the joint remover, automotive tool hire isn't at all good here in the UK, if needs be, I'll buy a tool on "the bay" and have it shipped over. Thanks again, Mark.
Unread 03-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #4
walter_da_jpr
4.0 Piston Skirt Victim

1999 WJ 

This should help with the visuals:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ball...alljoint-1.htm
Unread 03-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

No problem Mark , my instruction forgot to mention removing the TRE , whoops
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
jimjam515

Thanks for all the replies, I found a ball joint press on ebay for good money and agree the jobs not possible without one. 3 hrs I reckon and the job was done, the only problem was the ABS cable mount was rusted to pieces so I had to fabricate a new one. All told, even with buying the press, I'm better off than if I went to the dealer and still have the tool for the other side later in the year no doubt.

Regards, Mark
Unread 04-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
besthaticouldo
1994 ZJ 

sorry for bringing up a month old thread

however...

i have questions about ball joints and i didn't wanna make my own thread

should i get the spicer professional grade over the spicer service grade? is it worth the extra money?

Greatest Thing You've Ever Seen
besthaticouldo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 01:08 AM   #8
UnderTheWooDd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
It`s not hard with basic tools , what you will need without question is a proper ball joint tool . These should be rentable from your local parts store in alot of cases .

Loosen the wheel bolts
jack up at the axle , remove wheel
remove cotter pin and lock from the axle shaft
remove 1 5/16 or 36 mm nut off the axle(you may need someone on the brakes to hold it , a very good chance)
Remove pressure from brakes by squeezing the caliper(this makes removal and installation a breeze .
remove 2 bolts holding the caliper , they are 1/2"
Using tie straps , hang them so they are supported , don`t just dangle them from the lines
remove rotor
Remove cotter pin and nut from the tie rod end , using a hamme , tap the knuckle by the TRE until it drops , ususally 4-5 good taps will do . 3/4" nut on the TRE
remove the three bolts on the rear of the knuckle that hold the wheel brg 13mm 12 point socket or wrench
using a flat head screwdriver , start tapping it next to the top ear of the brg flange using the screwdriver as a wedge . Once separated slightly , repeat this at all 3 ears until you work it out . If you are replacing the brg , a BFH works great and will destroy the bearing .
pull side axle out (for just CV /axle replacement stop here and reverse order for install)

remove both cotter pins from the ball studs , then the nuts (sizes will probably vary from new to old , new should be bigger , make sure you have the sizes ).
with a hammer , tap the three side where the stud goes through the spindle on each joint , don`t be shy . Then , on the top of the knuckle , start pounding , 4-5 good smacks with a 2 pd hammer should do it , if not , just keep hitting , it will come off , if not upgrade hammer to bigger size .
Using the ball joint tool , set it up for the upper joint first , it gets pulled upwards , if you search google , or have an FSM , there are diagrams for this set-up
the lower ball joint tyou can hammer down and out , becareful of the edges so you don`t expand them and score the holes , these are press in fits . Or , don`t throw caution in the wind and set up the ball joint tool again .

Install is reverse order and use of the ball joint tool a must for both joint on install . Do not install the upper joint first as the c-clamp must use the hole for the lower joint install
Also , wrap some cardboard around the clamp threads that go through the hole for the upper joint , again , it stops any scoring should you come off center . Keep an eye in the ball joint tool , if it pulls sideways , back it off and start again .
The knucke has a slight offset , hopefully your ball joint tool kit has the offset "pipe" , if not , it will still work , just keep an eye on pulling and pressing the joints straight . I would allow a full day and hope it can be done in 4-5 hours your first time . I wish I had pics for you but broke the camera , I just finished this job on Saturday past .

There aren`t any good write-ups or step by steps out there , I did look too . Good luck with the job , there`s alot to take apart . If you need some pics and specs , I can give you what I have , PM your email my way

well i just did it about two weeks ago (plus all 4 TRE's and 4 rancho shocks) somewhat according to these instructions and it worked out alright... thanks for the post.

the hub-bearing assemblies (noted above as BRG) are quite a ***** to get off and i ended up slide hammering one of them apart (the mechanic at my work where i did all of this helped me get it back together, it was sure as hell the first HBA i've ever seen that comes apart but he assures me it's fine). i eventually got it off with a cold chisel and hammer, although i thoroughly destroyed my backing plate, which is no longer there on one side (the hell with it). the whole job with tre's and shocks and track bar took me 2 days with frequent breaks, and waiting for parts. I would recommend always doing what i do and have a mechanic check your work...
UnderTheWooDd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.