Steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steering

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
zjilahi
2014 JK Wrangler 

Steering

Hello Forum,

I have a 1994 ZJ V8 5.2. Ever since I got it the steering has been loose. I got the tie rod, tie rod ends, track bar all replaced. I also got the steering gearbox rebuilt. After getting all these replaced the steering looseness was dramatically better. The only problem is that when I am turning at above 30 MPH the steering wheel does not come back. I have to turn the wheel back straight myself. Also It still wanders a little on the road when I am going straight. I have to constantly turn the wheel back and fourth. What could possible be causing this? Any help would be much appreciated!

zjilahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
zjilahi
2014 JK Wrangler 

I also have got the steering stabilizer and shocks replaced.
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

You had a propper alignment done lately, castor, camber, toe check etc etc
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

x2^^
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
zjilahi
2014 JK Wrangler 

The shop had told me they had done the alignment.
Unread 12-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

This problem sounds like the first and last time I had my first car serviced by any professional mechanic.

When they rebuilt your gear box they might have over torqued the adjustment screw in order to compensate for the loose front end.
Worn tires won't help in this situation either.

Get someone to turn the steering wheel back and forth, 10 o'clock then 2 o'clock positions, while you look at the steering linkages. EVERYTHING must move smoothly without wiggling or have any noticeable play.

To check the ball joints, lift each wheel off the ground, by jacking it up by the knuckle not the frame, just enough to get a big crowbar under the tire. Pull up on the crowbar, and check with your other hand, on top of the tire, for any sense of looseness. The top joint can be checked by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire, then alternately push and pull the top and bottom to see if there is any movement there.
If you find anything , your on your way to being a professional.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If those parts are stock and never been changed, all of it is overdue.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
snotrod
1999 TJ Wrangler 

try the over the center adjustment. I had your exact problems and that's what fixed it for me. check the FAQ's

Tags
bad , problem , slop , steering

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.