Steam from transmission dip stick tube? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steam from transmission dip stick tube?

Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 12-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
edwyman
1993 ZJ 

Steam from transmission dip stick tube?

I have a 93 4.0 with I believe a 42re; performed a fluid and filter change and adjusted both front and rear bands.

Fluid level is good, though not as red/pink as I would think, somewhat clear and transparent. Fluid does smell a bit burnt.

Shifting is worse after fluid change than before. Slow to go from stop, sometimes need to get higher RPM's before engaging into 1st. Down shifting is good, up shifting could be a little tighter (I should readjust rear band again).

There is also a slight burnt smell when stepping out of the heep after driving for a few miles. No tranny codes being reported.

A few questions:

1. Why would steam be coming out of the transmission dip stick tube? Is this normal?

2. Is the transmission pump mechanical or electrical?

3. Could the pump be cavitated and now fluid is not getting circulated?

Thanks for any advice!

edwyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It's not normal. You may have incorrectly adjusted your bands. They are tricky to do. For a simple fluid change only by dropping the pan you will not get all of the old fluid out. I think only around 4 quarts or so. The rest will remain in the system unless you pull your transmission return line and drain it out. You are supposed to do this while pouring fresh fluid in until you see all of the old drain out and new fluid comes out. That way you don't get air into the pump. Keep checking your fluid level. You may not have filled it up all the way. I am assuming you know to check the fluid levels while the motor in on and in neutral after it has reached operating temperature right? Also the color isn't as important as the smell. That burnt smell is a bad sign.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
edwyman
1993 ZJ 

Thanks Polka!

Yes, I am checking fluid correctly.

Bands we actually quite easy to do, front one though is tight to get at. Originally adjusted the bands at F: 3 and R: 3; 1st gear engagment was really bad. Now I am adjusted to F: 1.5 and R: 3; much better than before.

Looks like I will be doing a flush and see if things improve...

Anybody else, thoughts?

BTW: this forum is great!!! I have learned so much about my heep in the last few months here.
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

You are torquing the bands to 72 INCH pounds and not FOOT pounds, right?
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
edwyman
1993 ZJ 

Yes, sir!

Actually spent a few hours on a Sunday running down an in. lb. torque wrench - o'reilly, napa, sears, tool town and finally Harbor Frieght to the rescue!
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Those sound like the haynes manual recommendations...which are very incorrect.

Band adjustment changed year by year. Follow the factory service manual specifications for your year. allowing for the couple updated tsb's for a few years.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.