Steam from front grill at start up...then gone. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Steam from front grill at start up...then gone.

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Steam from front grill at start up...then gone.

Hey guys...I have some steam coming from the front of the grill (assume its steam, and not smoke...doesnt smell like anything is burning). It started about a week ago...it only happens for about 2 minutes when I start the Jeep, then its gone. No coolant level drop in the reservoir yet, and the temp gauge stays right at 210. I dont notice any leaks, and there is no weird smells or sweet smells like coolant. No parts swap recently regarding the radiator or hoses either. It does go just above 210 if I am sitting in traffic, but then right back to 210 when I start moving at a good pace.
Any idea what the heck is going on? I searched the forum for "Steam" but couldnt find anything related to my issue. I am totally stumped!
Thanks for the help on this...I appreciate it.

brewcity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
T-nave
1998 ZJ 

Does it do this on start up when the motor is cold ? If so it isn't steam b/c the motor isn't hot enough to create steam. Have you got under it to see if there is any coolant anywhere? Mine didn't really have any "noticeable " leaks until you looked under it. It was so slow that it would take a while to notice a drop in coolant. When I took the radiator out I couldn't believe it was still in one piece.
Unread 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Most times I've seen that it's either

Underhood exhaust leak (cold weather)
Or a weeping radiator that's growing a small wet spot overnight, but not leaking enough to hit the ground yet
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-nave View Post
Does it do this on start up when the motor is cold ? If so it isn't steam b/c the motor isn't hot enough to create steam. Have you got under it to see if there is any coolant anywhere? Mine didn't really have any "noticeable " leaks until you looked under it. It was so slow that it would take a while to notice a drop in coolant. When I took the radiator out I couldn't believe it was still in one piece.
It does do it on start up...like this morning.
Now you have me worried something is burning!
I did check for coolant, and didnt see any. I'll let it run for awhile, and see if I can spot anything or smell something distinctive.
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

A valve cover leaking onto an exhaust manifold can also create wispy smoke on first start of the day
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
brewcity1
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
A valve cover leaking onto an exhaust manifold can also create wispy smoke on first start of the day
OK...I'll check that as well....thanks a lot for the help with this.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.