The Steaks ZJ Build&Repair thread - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The Steaks ZJ Build&Repair thread

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 09-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #46
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

jm8881: It's ALL YOUR FAULT!

As of my last post, I had just the Oil Filter Adapter O-Rings to replace. Using This Thread and knowing it may take a lil bit, I left it til the end. I've also thought of just taking the adapter out and getting a Oil Filter Relocation Kit from O'Rileys, but don't really know if it'd be worth it.

After getting in there with the 3/8" hex and pipe, Nojoy. Got the ONLY T60 in town(3 stores) and NOJOY. Even had a 2' breakerbar on it. This was all BEFORE checking for any leaks of all the rest of the work done. After trying all this from above AND BELOW, I decided that I'll just let a friggin shop deal with it. Put on the new Oil filter, Oil pressure sensor back on, New oil in, and pulled the Distributor cap lead. Put the Neg wire back onto the battery and Primed the Oil Pump(Per the directions). Distributor lead back on and Jepp started right up. Watched the top side for a few seconds, then looked below to see a SINGLE LEAK! Stopped the engine, crawled under there and cleaned it all up real good. Had the wife come out and start the engine up. Within 3 Seconds of the engine starting, I saw the leak. Guess where??? The Oil Filter Adapter. I Think I MAY have loosened it up when trying earlier, so to the Shop it goes. Well, Kinda. It's got an appointment at 3pm, so after I post this I've got an hour to work on it again. Least now I have the tools to attempt another time...

Unread 09-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #47
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

I DID get the darn bolt out finally. After getting the call to work and having only an hour and a half, I took the wrench and shoving a second wrench up the hi-lift handle was able to pop it free. A short time later I was at the kitchen sink washing it all clean with dawn, orange de-greaser, and a old steel wool piece gettin her all shiny. Then the new o-rings and re-assembly. This project it's more sealed all up and DONE!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-)

If anyone wants detailed pics, it'll either wait til next time, or use the links that I'll put in my first post for the various parts that I replaced. My hands were Very greasy for most of this.
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:33 AM   #48
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Dp... Oops
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #49
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Updated Build Index

*********************** From PAGE 1~~~ COMPLETE AND UP TO DATE! ***********************
Ok, I realize that I've posted a few threads and NOT started my Build thread.

Started out with my sisters' old 93 ZJ COMPLETELY STOCK, and only ever had oil changes, tires, and gas put in.(Interior WAS taken Good care of though)
4.0L Engine, 42RE Trans, etc...

What the PLANS are:
  • 7" IRO Premium Long Arm Kit
  • LOCK Both Axles(Prolly Air)
  • LED Lights(1000' in180 deg of Drivers seat, AND GoLight for the ROOF that rotates and adjusts for rearward lighting.
  • Front Bumper(Tomken - With 2"Reciever AND D-Ring Mounts)
  • Rear Bumper("HERE"...To Match Front ~ 2" Reciever IN BUMPER!)
  • Axles(When OEM BREAKS)
  • Gears(When OEM Breaks)
  • Transmission(When it dies)
  • Relocate ALL Breather vents to air box(Both Axles, Trans, and Transfer Case)
  • Actual Maintenance(Anything that Should have been done Before now)
  • SPARE ZJ for Parts
Engine bay:

As I think and See more things, I'll add them to the list, BUT I feel the list is fairly complete.

Things that have been "Fixed"
  • Fuel Pump Assy
  • Fuel Filter(ROCK hit it)
  • Shocks
  • Rt Frt Sway Bar Link
  • Cap&Rotor, Spark Plugs, Wires, Ign Coil
  • Rotor Assy
  • Rear Hatch Supports
  • Exhaust leak(small dime size hole)
  • Crankcase Position Sensor
  • Transmission(Replaced at 298,*** miles with "new"unit ~ 7/30/13)
  • Oil gaskets ~ Rear Main Seal, Oil Adapter, and Oil Pan Gasket
  • High Flow Oil Pump ~ M167HVS (Replaced at 298,*** with new unit ~ 9/14/13)

Things that I either have or will get to do work:
Unread 09-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #50
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagsc7 View Post
If I had a dollar...
jm8881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #51
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
Hopefully thats the last snag in your "repair".
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8881 View Post
If I had a dollar...
I know what you mean. I was trying to get that bolt out when you chimed in on my phone...

Its 'all good.
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #52
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

KRACK!!! I Seriously need to get this DONE! I haven't had to drive that far the last few days, and didn't see any leaks... BUT today I took it to the store (4 Miles)and grabbed some groceries. When I got back home there was smoke coming from the engine area. Being night, I grabbed my flashlight and saw constant dripping of oil between the Engine and tranny. I THINK that it's just that the pan ring was hard to get to seat right in the rear, BUT that still means that I get to jack it up and re-do the pan. Hopefully I don't need to replace the rear main seal. Good thing is that I shouldn't have that much of an issue. I just did it.
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #53
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

I paid attention this morning, and realized that I'm dripping 3 drops every few feet. Guess it's bad... when I'm off work, I'll be starting this project again. Gaah!
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #54
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Oil Pan Leaks BAD!

Started, and everything's apart. Found where the leak is. Any guesses?
OK. For those that have done this oil pan gasket before, my Question is this.

How do I get this rear section to seat in the lip that it's supposed to seat in?

Is there a trick to get it right, besides patience and RED HANDS from the RTV? FYI: I have the jeep jacked up, on stands, muffler rotated, and axle hanging from just the springs. Should I put the tires back on it to increase weight on springs to drop axle another 1/2 inch or so?

With any luck, someone will reply with the trick and I'll get it back together in the morning...
Unread 09-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #55
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Well, it's All back together now. STILL A FLIBBIN LEAK. I think it's higer up on the block than the oil pan now.

After driving at 30-50 mph for a couple minutes, I decided to check out IF there was a 'tell tale leak' OF Course there is. I turned around and went back home. conceded that defeat is the answer to this issue. I know the pan gasket was seated right this time. I didn't re-do the rear main seal, but it ended being easy enough that I didn't think I could screw it up. There was no binding or anything else of the sort when putting in the new one. GRRRRR!!!

I got home and checked out the underside again. I can't See any drip spots, but the muffler continues to smoke of burnt oil(the outside of it... and no leaks) Somewhere oil is dripping from. I saw a single bolt and some glistening coming from it. Hmmmmmm.......

Looking from above, the intake is to the left, and firewall to the right. I can't even see it from above without the phone's camera. What is this to? HOW does it correlate with the Oil system? Please tell me I'm not having to pull the engine anyways...
*Tired and depressed*
Unread 09-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #56
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Well, it's All back together now. STILL A FLIBBIN LEAK. I think it's higer up on the block than the oil pan now.

After driving at 30-50 mph for a couple minutes, I decided to check out IF there was a 'tell tale leak' OF Course there is. I turned around and went back home. conceded that defeat is the answer to this issue. I know the pan gasket was seated right this time. I didn't re-do the rear main seal, but it ended being easy enough that I didn't think I could screw it up. There was no binding or anything else of the sort when putting in the new one. GRRRRR!!!

I got home and checked out the underside again. I can't See any drip spots, but the muffler continues to smoke of burnt oil(the outside of it... and no leaks) Somewhere oil is dripping from. I saw a single bolt and some glistening coming from it. Hmmmmmm.......

Looking from above, the intake is to the left, and firewall to the right. I can't even see it from above without the phone's camera. What is this to? HOW does it correlate with the Oil system? Please tell me I'm not having to pull the engine anyways...
*Tired and depressed*
I had an oil pressure sensor leaking on the top of my motor. Not sure where it is on the 4.0. Are you running synthetic? Ive had no luck keeping syn in any high mileage jeep from leaking.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #57
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post

I had an oil pressure sensor leaking on the top of my motor. Not sure where it is on the 4.0. Are you running synthetic? Ive had no luck keeping syn in any high mileage jeep from leaking.
Yeah, synthetic all the way thru.
Casteroll gtx 5w-30 year round for Wyoming. The oil pressure sensor on the 4.0l is just above the oil filter.
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #58
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

I threw a can of Engine Cleaner under the engine and SHOT IT! Ok... Really, I sprayed it all under the engine.. on the block itself.

After washing it, I took it out for a quick drive and didn't have any leaking at all. I looked at the the spot that I think it's leaking, and realize that just above it is this small thing called the Cylinder Head Gasket(Lower one!). I guess I'm in for a complete overhaul in my future. Guess It's good to know now so that I can prep for the day when I "Go At IT".

Course, my wife says "Just take it into the shop." I'd rather take it to the shop Only for a Full engine swap. Either way, Looks like I'll be renting a storage unit for a month so that I can Make Sure to keep stuff strait and CLEAN! I Don't want to open the Top side on my gravel driveway in the Variable winter weather of Wyoming. Course, I say winter, cause she told me that we'll see snow on Friday.
Unread 10-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #59
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

I need to exchange the tires again. When I got the ZJ, the tires were better on the XJ. So they were traded. When I was driving the XJ (due to tranny issues), I got new tires on it. Now that I'm back on the ZJ, tires are better on the XJ. Time to trade them back. GLAD to have 2 vehicles with the same bolt pattern :P
Unread 10-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #60
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Uneventful couple of weeks, but time for an update.

I've been putting in a Rear Cargo Drawer for all the stuff that I usually have in the Jeep. I decided that everything will be made out of 2"wood(except the FACE of the drawer being 1" on top of 2" board). I got a couple 2x6s and started cutting. 2x6 for the frame and 2x6 for the drawer. Plus the inch required for the... Ohh KRAP! Throw a 2x4 on Top of the 2x6 for the frame, and then cut down the 2x6 crossmember(to hold the spare tire) so that the drawer will come out. Last night I Finally got the slides installed(22" was the longest I could find at our Home Depot).

Dimensions are as such:
42.25 ~ Outside Width at Back Seat
35.50 ~ Left and Right 2x6s
42.75 ~ Outside Width at Rear Hatch(NOW I know I need a shim on the sliders...)
33.50 ~ Top Length on the 2x4s(There's an angle cut between the 2x6 and this length due to the Seat being angled.)
The 2x6 and 2x4 near the back seat is positioned so that I can place bottles of oil and such standing up, and have the seat up to keep them where they are. I've also placed a few 4x4s back there in the extra space(for now) as jacking blocks.
The 2x6 that's the crossbrace is Supposed to be in the center of the box. This is so that I can drill a hole and secure the spare tire(Lost space for it in making the box) when I go on trips. the bolt will be removable so that you can screw it in to the top, then screw the tire down from above. Least this is the plan)

Drawer dimensions are: 27.75x35 Usable Drawer Space.

Pics to follow tomorrow...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.