The Steaks ZJ Build&Repair thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The Steaks ZJ Build&Repair thread

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #16
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Oii My Gosh!?! Good news and assessment time: Good news is that I have the jeep Back from the shop! Yeah!
Got the tranny from transdepot.net. Ordered it on 5/24. Arrived on 7/23 at the shop. Shop got my jeep and only a few hours later I got the First call. The Output Shaft is different. Called Transdepot, and they paid the mechanic to change it out with the old one from the bad tranny. New part was sent back to them. 7/25 I got another call. The Torque Converter they sent was Wrong as well. Another removal, and they sent the correct one to us After the wrong one got back to them. Now it's 8/3 and I have the Jeep back. All good... I'd HOPE?!?! It shifts Up Great, and does good at hwy speeds. It's just not shifting back down as it should. The mechanic says that there's a valve in there that's sticking(Just too tight), and that it SHOULD loosen up in the first couple hundred miles. I'll drive it a few hundred miles this next week and Hope that it fixes its self.

I Really hoped that buying a tranny from a business that's been doing rebuilds for over 30 Years could get it right the first time.

eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Took it out for a drive. The Shifting is smooth going Up. Kickdown is good, and will downshift 1 gear from any other gear. The issue comes when I stop. If I don't give it a bit of gas Immediately after stopping, it won't drop into first. IF I downshift Manually, it has the same issue. Anyone have any quickie fixes/things to check...
Unread 08-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #18
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Liftgate:
Assuming that I have access to a welder and could get it right, Can anyone tell me IF the Liftgate from the WJ would fit and seal on a ZJ?
Unread 08-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #19
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Had a LOL moment today. My friend that drives a truck(actual truck) drove me to the shop to pick up our XJ that I left when picking up the ZJ. He made the comment that his payment is $350/mo, and he's had no mx ever done on his rig. He asked me which would be cheaper, a monthly payment, or Random Maintenance expenses. I estimated that in the last year since buying the ZJ, I've put $2500 into it. That's only $208 per month for any Mx. Guess I have him beat.

When he DOES have to do any Mx, he'll Also have a Payment. And Yes, I DID remind him that his is only 2WD, as compared to 4WD AND a JEEP!
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #20
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

After putting on the new Front Bumper, I didn't look at the relationship between my Bump Stops and the axle. Today I looked at it, and am wondering something. What is the Stock Gap between Bump Stop and the Spot it would hit if spring was fully compressed? Can someone with a stock ZJ post a pic and tell me the distance that's there. Preference would be if you have the 4.0L engine.

Thanks!
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #21
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagsc7 View Post
After putting on the new Front Bumper, I didn't look at the relationship between my Bump Stops and the axle. Today I looked at it, and am wondering something. What is the Stock Gap between Bump Stop and the Spot it would hit if spring was fully compressed? Can someone with a stock ZJ post a pic and tell me the distance that's there. Preference would be if you have the 4.0L engine.

Thanks!
I was able to find a stock ZJ around town. Oii!! 2" drop in clearance after front bumper. Ordered some JKS ACOS adjustable spring lifters. I'll just set it up for stock ride height when they come in... Ahh heck! I'll prolly gain an inch for the hey of it.

Out Jeepin, usin the Mobile App
Unread 08-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #22
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Spacers came in today! Went out this afternoon and grabbed a Impact wrench(Ryobi One+ LiIon 18v Battery powered), and the spring compressor from O'Rileys. Also picked up a set of the wrenches where the full end has a flex joint and ratchets. NICE! Til you get one STUCK Already had the 1/2" 10"Extension and grabbed a 3/4" Socket for the kit. That's all. Got home and got the front end jacked up(LOOKS bad, but rather good). Tire off, Compressors on, and shock/sway bar/Spring clip disconnected. FOUGHT with the spring for almost an hour(binding the wrench on there a couple times). When it finally came out, I pulled out the Bump Stop(amazing it's still in as good as condition as it is) and with the aid of Liquid Bolt Loosener, the bolt came of. Course, the tube that the bolt goes into was COMPLETELY FULL OF WATER(I Hope) and drained thru the bolt hole. Put the First Coil Spacer on and grabbed the bolt to hold it in place. KRACK! I don't have an Allen Wrench that big. Course, they didn't include a new one for me. So I'm stuck at 11pm with spring out and on 2 jack stands. Ohh well. I'll run to the store and pick up a set of allen sockets tomorrow. YEAH!
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #23
ELMCZJ95

Just a suggestion for the lift. If you're looking to save money, run the Rough Country long arm upgrade with all other lift components coming from Iron Rock. In the end it'll save you over $1000. I went that route instead of the premium lift from Iron Rock and I'm extremely happy with it.
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #24
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagsc7
Liftgate:
Assuming that I have access to a welder and could get it right, Can anyone tell me IF the Liftgate from the WJ would fit and seal on a ZJ?
No
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #25
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMCZJ95 View Post
Just a suggestion for the lift. If you're looking to save money, run the Rough Country long arm upgrade with all other lift components coming from Iron Rock. In the end it'll save you over $1000. I went that route instead of the premium lift from Iron Rock and I'm extremely happy with it.
I'm pretty well set on IRO. When I search Rough Country on this forum, the first 4 mention NOT to go to them due to poor products. I'm part of the Do it Right the first time crowd.

Heck, the JKS ACOS spacers that I got went in GREAT once I got the allen wrench today. The thing I'll say about those coil spring compressors is that there's an ART to putting them on and making them work correctly. I ended up grabbing a length of 550 cord and wrapping it around the majority of the spring when it was fully compressed via the floor jack(Immediately after pulling the tire off). The 550 Cord went to the Back of the Spring. The Compressors went to the 120 deg points so that there is 3 points that are holding the spring compressed.

Once I got the first one done(STEEP Learning curve), the second one was done in about an hour total time for it.

Would the same prod # work for the rear springs as well? I forgot to measure it ...

Also, Thanks Dusterdude!
Unread 08-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #26
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

I got some rattle can paint awhile back. This evening, I went after it. First tried a coat of clearcoat(257884) from Rustolium on the spot on the roof. It did work. Makes me realize that the entire roof is getting ready to loose its last layer of clearcoat. Guess I'm getting a few more cans sometime.

I also picked up a can of Dark Hunter Green(7733) realizing that it's NOT an exact match to what we have. Ours is the famed PG5. The one that NOBODY does any replacements for... Just something to sand the Very Minor rust and chips on the front end and keep it from getting worse. I sprayed it and let it dry. Once dried, I went back out and looked at it for a bit. Now that it's sprayed, I can either scrape(NOT) and sand (NOPE), or coat over it when I get a can of matched coat. Course, I now have the debate of just spraying a couple coats of Bed Liner over the front of the hood and front of the roof.

Any thoughts?
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #27
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Well, today I Finally got around to buying the Supplies to seal up the Engine. Rear Main Seal, Lower Pan Gasket, Oil Filter Adapter Rings, Oil Filter, and the oil that goes in once all are replaced. IF I get the chance, I'll be doing this in the next couple days. Yippe?!?

*Edit* Started reading about things after posting, and realized that I should Prolly put in a new Oil Pickup, and Possibly a new pump as well. Ordered them today.
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #28
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Recall Notice

Of course Mine DOES qualify for the "Hitch" Recall. Dropped by the dealer yesterday and I found out that I'm at the top of the list for this area. Course, pretty much everyone out here already has hitches on their vehicles to pull trailers and such. The guy also said that it could be a couple months still. I'm not inthat much of a hurry, and anyways by then, they MIGHT update it to Hitch OR Skidplate... In which I'd take the skidplate. I'm looking at rear bumpers with integrated 2" Box and tow points(With or without tire carrier) currently.
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #29
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Just a heads up, the bumpers that have the integrated hitch are not rated for towing. From their sites, it looks like a lot are to be considered equal to a class II hitch.

Just food for thought if you plan on towing any loads over 2k
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #30
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Thanks for the thought. I'm not really thinking of towing that much(Heck, my trailer is 1500 Miles away). MOST of the time, I expect that it'll be used to pull me out when I get stuck. (Already have the Front Hitch in Tomken Bumper).

Also, I think the Transmission Overdrive Solenoid that came with the new tranny is BROKEN ALREADY. Guess who's getting a call on Monday...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.