The Steaks ZJ Build&Repair thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The Steaks ZJ Build&Repair thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

The Steaks ZJ Build&Repair thread

*********************** From PAGE 1~~~ COMPLETE AND UP TO DATE! ***********************
Ok, I realize that I've posted a few threads and NOT started my Build thread.

Started out with my sisters' old 93 ZJ COMPLETELY STOCK, and only ever had oil changes, tires, and gas put in.(Interior WAS taken Good care of though)
4.0L Engine, 42RE Trans, etc...

What the PLANS are:
  • 7" IRO Premium Long Arm Kit
  • LOCK Both Axles(Prolly Air)
  • LED Lights(1000' in180 deg of Drivers seat, AND GoLight for the ROOF that rotates and adjusts for rearward lighting.
  • Front Bumper(Tomken - With 2"Reciever AND D-Ring Mounts)
  • Rear Bumper("HERE"...To Match Front ~

2" Reciever IN BUMPER!)
  • Axles(When OEM BREAKS)
  • Gears(When OEM Breaks)
  • Transmission(When it dies)
  • Relocate ALL Breather vents to air box(Both Axles, Trans

, and Transfer Case)
  • Actual Maintenance(Anything that Should have been done Before now)
  • SPARE ZJ for Parts
Engine bay:

As I think and See more things, I'll add them to the list, BUT I feel the list is fairly complete.

Things that have been "Fixed"
  • Fuel Pump Assy
  • Fuel Filter(ROCK hit it)
  • Shocks
  • Rt Frt Sway Bar Link
  • Cap&Rotor, Spark Plugs, Wires, Ign Coil
  • Rotor Assy
  • Rear Hatch Supports
  • Exhaust leak(small dime size hole)
  • Crankcase Position Sensor
  • Transmission(Replaced at 298,*** miles with "new"unit ~ 7/30/13)
  • Oil gaskets ~ Rear Main Seal, Oil Adapter, and Oil Pan Gasket
  • High Flow Oil Pump ~ M167HVS (Replaced at 298,*** with new unit ~ 9/14/13)

Things that I either have or will get to do work:

Last edited by eagsc7; 08-01-2013 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: Engine Mods Adding...
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Sept 2012: Bought jeep from my sister. Her records were REALLY good, with gas receipts, Oil changes, and tire change-outs(Of course, I lost that stuff already).

Oct 2012: Oil Changed, Shocks done, Sea Foamed(1/2 Oil, 1/2 Gas tank)

April 2013 saw a complete rebuild of the "BANG" system(from AFJROTC~ What gives your engine Spark). Spark Plugs, Wires, Cap&Rotor, Rotor Assy, and Ign Coil. I also ordered the Tomken Front Bumper at the end of the month.

May 2013 found me with a Transmission that BURNT itself out on our way BACK from MOAB(Finally getting replaced 7/20/13). I also installed the Front Bumper and started using MANY cans of Engine Degreaser(to find Any leaks that are there, but hidden)

June 2013, I found a can of Rustolium Truck Bed Coating(Item 248914) and painted the cladding. Got a few more cans to spray a few more areas eventually.

July 2013: Transmission replaced(No vent relocation). PCV System checked(Lines cleaned and vac fitting cleared) Oil will be changed when out of the shop. I'll be looking at the gear oils and lubing the grease fittings as well.
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Just remembered the Bumpstops. Thinking of getting the JKS Manufacturing ACOS PRO to give me a couple extra inches. The link is for the Front. I THINK the rear Might be the same in the ZJ.

What does everyone think?
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Got the call from the tranny shop this morning. The Transfer case won't fit the Transmission. WHAT!?!?! Got there, took pictures, LAUGHED, then called Transdepot.net with the issue. LUCKILY they ARE working with the shop to resolve the issue. Warranty is not affected, BUT this is what I found when I got home(and knew what I was Looking for)

Quote:
Originally Posted by novak-adapt.com
Torqueflite 42RE Caveat
Unlike all other known transmissions to the Jeep New Process transfer cases, the Torqueflite 42RE transmission as found in 1994 ZJ Grand Cherokees features a unique output shaft with a pilot tip on the end of it. This shaft pilots into the NP input gear in a front-facing caged needle bearing. Note the image below
Unread 07-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagsc7 View Post

What does everyone think?
To be 100% honest, Iíd rethink a lot of this build. Since youíre going to be starting out with a D30/35c combo, axles are going to be going in sooner rather than later. Youíre also going to wind up with 4.56 or 4.88 gears on account of the 4.0L. What I would do is in order below.

Source a Ford 8.8, Artec truss and lock/gear it. Truss for the front D30, upgrade the steering (Currie)

Clayton long arm kit front and rear, Clayton frame stiffeners and skid plate
This is your starting point, you can run 33s or 35s on that suspension and axle setup and be pretty safe from breaking things. Then take care of the rest as money comes along.

Ditch the GoLight, yeah itís nice and fancy but itís expensive as hell and youíll never use it. Put a 40Ē Rigid E-Series bar on the roof and a Dually D2 on each rear corner and youíll be fine for light.

Having 2 Hi-Lifts is useless, Iíd be buying an X-Jack over a Hi-Lift any day.

Buy a good compressor and a tank. You can run your lockers off it when you get them and air up in the mean time.

Get a good battery or a dual setup if you have a sound system as well, the stock type gets killed from winching and lights.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #6
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
To be 100% honest, Iíd rethink a lot of this build. Since youíre going to be starting out with a D30/35c combo, axles are going to be going in sooner rather than later. Youíre also going to wind up with 4.56 or 4.88 gears on account of the 4.0L. What I would do is in order below.

Source a Ford 8.8, Artec truss and lock/gear it. Truss for the front D30, upgrade the steering (Currie)

Clayton long arm kit front and rear, Clayton frame stiffeners and skid plate
This is your starting point, you can run 33s or 35s on that suspension and axle setup and be pretty safe from breaking things. Then take care of the rest as money comes along.

Ditch the GoLight, yeah itís nice and fancy but itís expensive as hell and youíll never use it. Put a 40Ē Rigid E-Series bar on the roof and a Dually D2 on each rear corner and youíll be fine for light.

Having 2 Hi-Lifts is useless, Iíd be buying an X-Jack over a Hi-Lift any day.

Buy a good compressor and a tank. You can run your lockers off it when you get them and air up in the mean time.

Get a good battery or a dual setup if you have a sound system as well, the stock type gets killed from winching and lights.
The list that I've started is just in that order for sake of how I remembered it. As I see more things, I'll just add them to the bottom of the list.

Why Claytons instead of IRO? IF I go with Claytons and put it on the current axles, What would I have to change when I do the axle swap? In other words, Should I just wait and hold off on Lift til I have axles ready to go in at same time?

I've looked at the X-Jack and the Hi-Lift. As I see it, the XJack is only good for lifting your vehicle. Whereas, a Hi-Lift can lift vehicle, Spread metal, Keep your roof from collapsing(if stored inside and tilts up when you ROLL it.~ Saw on Youtube), and even Pull you out(SLOWLY) from that stuck spot. All this Without having to have compressed air, or the engine running. Course, I THINK the X-jack IS a hair lighter though.

I Really have to look into lights. I just remember looking tat the GoLights at the store a few years ago and REALLY liking them for their adjust-ability. For the rear, I have bookmarked the License Plate Lighs from a JY car. Gotta find the right car, and good lights for the conversion.

For Lockers, I'm thinking ARB. Definitely goin to put a Ford 8.8 in the rear. This will take some real time and energy to get right(and built).

Batteries: Definitely going Optima when this battery dies on me. Red or Yellow Top though. Also, at that time(or around it), I'll be putting in the dual battery setup and wiring this in. Have to look at Where I can put the 2nd battery... Though I DID see a place if I move the radiator overflow tank somewhere else. I'll be playing around with that. I know better than to have a sound system besides something that'll get radio on long drives. No need to kill my ears with ridiculous bass or number of speakers or amps. Basic Radio and the Factory 4 speaker setup works great(though IF I can find them, I might throw my good speakers in from when I was a kid. AMAZINGLY I didn't blow them then...) Course, the main reason for the Dual setup will be for Winching and Lighting.

After the "Adventure of Transmission Shop" early today, I still wonder what other gremlins I'll find while doing these upgrades.

Unread 07-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Also, our radio DID die, so we're looking for a new Digital Radio. Would look at Sirus, but when on long trips and OUT of radio tower range is when my wife and I really start talking...(Be that a good thing or not, I don't know)
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Id look into a better rear axle for your build. How big of tires are you planning?
I like the pull pal thing

Build thread^^
riot1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
Id look into a better rear axle for your build. How big of tires are you planning?
I like the pull pal thing

Tires... Not really thought about it, Except the largest that I can feasibly put on there.

Pul-Pal - Pretty well REQUIRED out here IF your wheeling by yourself and get stuck. My record is Really good right now, but I Don't want to risk it. once I get the winch...
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

35's are about as big as I would go. And i definitely would swap in a heavier rear axle before I ran 35's. That D35 is notoriously weak and I wouldnt spend any money on it personally

Build thread^^
Unread 07-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

I was told today that the Torque Converter that the shop sent me isn't the right one. Oiii!
Unread 07-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #12
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I'ma follow this, looks like it'll be fun!
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #13
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

I just thought of something that would be "Custom" though I'm more of the "bolt on" person.

Instead of a full lift gate on the ZJ, one that the Lower part of the gate drops like a truck tailgate, and the glass(and SMALL frame on glass?) goes UP. Basically, like a truck with a shell top where you can raise the glass then drop the tailgate. Has Anyone seen or heard of something like this for the ZJs?
Unread 07-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

nope. Ive always wanted to. I like having a fold down tailgate to sit on

Build thread^^
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:53 AM   #15
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

When it gets back from the shop, I Might just have to get me a "Spare Back Hatch" and do some metal-work...

IF something comes of it, I'll do a write up here.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.