Starts, then shuts off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Starts, then shuts off

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-31-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
rnfuentes
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Starts, then shuts off

My 1994 jeep grand cherokee laredo v8. Sometimes shuts off right after it starts. I had a similar problem a few months ago but was resolved after I put in a "new idle air control valve". What could my problem be?

Recent work consist of: tune up, new fuel (filter & pump).

rnfuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
skunked_once
1997 ZJ 

Could be your security system. Be sure it's working properly. Mine did this once and I had to lock the doors and then unlock the passenger door. There are several threads on this user-friendly security system. Good luck!
skunked_once is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
craiger28
1997 ZJ 

Hello. I had this same problem recently with a 97 ZJ 4.0L. I tried the trick where you put the key in the drivers door and turn the key back and forth, it didn't work. I called a buddy of mine that works on Jeeps and he came out with his computer and reset the ECU to get it to work again. It had a bad battery and went dead and the alarm turned off the car once you started it, it would shut off right away.
craiger28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

it can be the idle air control again or your security -- try unlocking the jeep in the passenger side door or the tail gate and see if that stops it.
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.