Starting from scratch, priority for upgrades? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Boone96ZJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-10-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
barnamos
1997 ZJ 

Starting from scratch, priority for upgrades?

Hi all,

I just acquired a 97 5.2L with just over 100K on it. It's in great shape and all stock at the moment. I'd like to make it the most reliable and efficient vehicle I can for everyday driving (but living in the mountains means capable 4X4 is required). I'm a bit blessed as I live in an area where emissions are not required so I can be flexible in exhaust and intake systems.

Where are my weaknesses in this vehicle at 20 years old? As in what is likely to be first to give out in your experiences?

It's a bit of a beastly tank, somewhat sluggish and avgs about 16mpg currently. So...

Fuel system? drive train? transmission? electrical? etc? I figure the folks on here would be the best to ask advice from.

97 Grand Cherokee - "Larry"
98 Wrangler - Barbie Version
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-10-2017, 02:17 PM
dflewelling
1995 ZJ 

I'd say reliability over efficiency. These were never the most mindful of fuel consumption, but id start with your basic tuneup. Cap, rotor, wires, plugs, if it has stock intake, consider the Huges plenum kit as the plenum failing is inevitable, if it's not already done. If the plenum is bad, then the list goes on to oxygen sensors, as those mixed with the vacuum leak of a bad plenum will certainly cause poor(er) gas mileage. Other than that, it's pretty much yours to do with as you please. How's the viscous coupler in the transfer case? Are all tires the same size and worn evenly? How's the oil, trans, and transfer case fluid?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 10-10-2017, 08:15 PM
BeardyHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflewelling View Post
I'd say reliability over efficiency. These were never the most mindful of fuel consumption, but id start with your basic tuneup. Cap, rotor, wires, plugs, if it has stock intake, consider the Huges plenum kit as the plenum failing is inevitable, if it's not already done. If the plenum is bad, then the list goes on to oxygen sensors, as those mixed with the vacuum leak of a bad plenum will certainly cause poor(er) gas mileage. Other than that, it's pretty much yours to do with as you please. How's the viscous coupler in the transfer case? Are all tires the same size and worn evenly? How's the oil, trans, and transfer case fluid?

This is a great post, thank you!

I've been researching ZJ's for awhile now, hoping to make a reliable family rig and so far, I think this is some of the most useful information I've discovered.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 AM
LouC
2007 WK 

1) cooling system, if it has not been done in the last 10 years, radiator water pump and thermostat. Consistent temps over 210 suggest the need for cooling upgrades.
2) Trans cooler, if not equipped add one.
3) all fluids should be changed.
4) rocket panel rust. Pop off the plastic threshold plates and look inside; if you see flaking rust you need to treat these areas.
5) heater core and ac evap. These should both be done at the same time if either one is bad.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #5 of 11 Old 10-11-2017, 08:42 PM
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

I second the tranny cooler; especially if you plan to do any towing.

HID Projector retro! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/hid-projector-retrofit-build-thread-3082289/
post #6 of 11 Old 10-12-2017, 08:48 AM
Mopar4U
1996 ZJ 

Reliability - Id have a mopar fuel pump on your shelf (spare) if it hasnt been replaced recently. Clean the throttle body and iac. Agree with the plenum gasket comments. Check all the grounds and wiring. Check vacuum lines, they get brittle. Service your diffs.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Boone96ZJ
1996 ZJ 

Lots of stickers in your side windows and installing blinker fluid add 20 horsepower
Mark-318-IT likes this.

96 5.2 242 3" 32x11.5
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1996-grand-cherokee-laredo-5-2-a-2570290/
post #8 of 11 Old 10-12-2017, 07:29 PM
Scsigman
2015 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone96ZJ View Post
Lots of stickers in your side windows and installing blinker fluid add 20 horsepower
Dilley dilley!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 11 Old 10-14-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
barnamos
1997 ZJ 

Thanks much, intake appears stock. The filter's been upgraded is about all.

I've only put a couple thousand miles on it but all fluids are clean, was happy to see tranny fluid as pretty as it was. I will figure out what the viscous coupler is and then check it!

Tires are evenly worn, ride is a bit mushy but breaks and steers straight. I will start with the obvious for now.

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171014_130058.jpg  

Last edited by barnamos; 10-14-2017 at 01:20 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-14-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
barnamos
1997 ZJ 

Been searching Amazon for days looking for blinker fluid, finally found some organic stuff from Quebec on the black market. Comes with 150 lug bolts so I should be good for a while.

97 Grand Cherokee - "Larry"
98 Wrangler - Barbie Version
post #11 of 11 Old 10-15-2017, 04:59 PM
dflewelling
1995 ZJ 

Pop that air hat off and open the throttle plate. Look down there with a flashlight and if you see a pool of oil, the plenum gasket is bad. A light coating is fine, you'll get that from the PCV valve.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.