Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

starting problems

691 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tank12983 
#1 ·
o.k. So sometimes when i try to start my ZJ i turn the key and nothing happens mechanically, the accesories come on but nothing from the engine compartment not even a click, then i turn the key a couple more times and it starts right up, sometimes more turns, sometimes it starts on first try. It helps sometimes when i turn the key really hard. I have a new battery so that isnt the problem. Is it the starter? starter relay? starter cylenoid? ignition switch?

appreciate the help guys, dont know what i would do without this forum!:thumbsup:

#2 ·
Ignition switch, a bad relay, some bad wiring, faulty ECM. Could be a number of things. Do the dash lights, etc. come on every time when you turn the key? If so, does the starter not engage when you turn the key but the dash lights come on?

Might check your neutral safety switch(NSS). I have to bump my shifter forward every now & then because of my NSS. I'll get the normal dash lights & chimes but no action from the starter until I bump my shifter forward a bit in Park.

#7 ·
Driver side on the trans , 4 wires IIRC and few choices . Should be a 5-10 min swap . Have a rag handy , I think the oil runs out pretty good . Have the new one ready to swap .

May or may not be your issue . It could be as simple as a shifter cable adjustment . Try starting in neutral to see if the problem stops first . Do your reverse lights work ?

#6 ·
Mine does something similar to this from time to time. All of the interior lights come on, radio, a/c, normal dings and all but it doesn't start. I do hear a fairly noticable "Click" when I try and turn it over.

So far as I've guess i've attributed it to the starter dying. I smacked the starter a few times last time I had trouble with it and it seemed to help. I'll have to try messing with the NSS next time.

#8 ·
This happened to me at the gas station once and had to call a buddy to tow me home. Later I figured out that it was my neutral safety switch when I discover that pushing my shifter further towards park allowed me to start my jeep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.