starting problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > starting problems

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
gdoughtie

starting problems

o.k. So sometimes when i try to start my ZJ i turn the key and nothing happens mechanically, the accesories come on but nothing from the engine compartment not even a click, then i turn the key a couple more times and it starts right up, sometimes more turns, sometimes it starts on first try. It helps sometimes when i turn the key really hard. I have a new battery so that isnt the problem. Is it the starter? starter relay? starter cylenoid? ignition switch?

appreciate the help guys, dont know what i would do without this forum!

gdoughtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

Ignition switch, a bad relay, some bad wiring, faulty ECM. Could be a number of things. Do the dash lights, etc. come on every time when you turn the key? If so, does the starter not engage when you turn the key but the dash lights come on?

Might check your neutral safety switch(NSS). I have to bump my shifter forward every now & then because of my NSS. I'll get the normal dash lights & chimes but no action from the starter until I bump my shifter forward a bit in Park.
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
gdoughtie

yeah that sounds like it could be it, all the lights and accesories come on, just no starter action. do you know where the NSS is located? is it easy to replace?
Unread 08-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
rlcii77
1998 ZJ 

Which transmission do you have? If you're not sure, what year & engine do you have?
rlcii77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
gdoughtie

1996 jeep ZJ 5.2 AWD Automatic
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
BL_Maros
1998 ZJ 

Mine does something similar to this from time to time. All of the interior lights come on, radio, a/c, normal dings and all but it doesn't start. I do hear a fairly noticable "Click" when I try and turn it over.

So far as I've guess i've attributed it to the starter dying. I smacked the starter a few times last time I had trouble with it and it seemed to help. I'll have to try messing with the NSS next time.
BL_Maros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoughtie View Post
1996 jeep ZJ 5.2 AWD Automatic
Driver side on the trans , 4 wires IIRC and few choices . Should be a 5-10 min swap . Have a rag handy , I think the oil runs out pretty good . Have the new one ready to swap .

May or may not be your issue . It could be as simple as a shifter cable adjustment . Try starting in neutral to see if the problem stops first . Do your reverse lights work ?
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #8
tank12983
1995 ZJ 

This happened to me at the gas station once and had to call a buddy to tow me home. Later I figured out that it was my neutral safety switch when I discover that pushing my shifter further towards park allowed me to start my jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.