Starting Problem, please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Starting Problem, please help

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-18-2003, 08:49 PM   #1
nickoli

Starting Problem, please help

My car stopped starting yesturday. When I put it on ON, all of the lights and accessories come on as usual. However, when I crank it over, I can see a spark from the positive cable on the battery, and the car doesn't start. Nevertheless, if I jiggle the cables around while someone is crank it over, the car will struggle, but it will eventually start. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks

nickoli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
moabster
2011 WK 

I'm guessing you have a bad connection at the battery terminal. I would try several things:
1. Remove the cables and clean them with a battery post cleaner.
2. Make sure there is no corrosion around the terminals. If there is, clean it up with a little baking soda disolved in warm water.
3. Check the cable where it connects to the battery terminal. I had a cable that was corroded where the cable was molded into the cable end. It appeared ok but would not allow enough current through to start the car. It read 12 volts with a volt meter but would drop to 0 when you tried to crank the engine. I fixed it by cutting the old cable end off and replacing it with a new one from Autozone. One way to test for the bad connection is to grab the cable wire with a pair of pliers while touching the pliers to the positive battery terminal then have someone try to start the car. If it starts you have found your problem.

good luck
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2003, 05:00 AM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

After the battery, check the ignition coil. I've had several die and they are a quick fix.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2003, 03:41 PM   #4
ccyoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
After the battery, check the ignition coil. I've had several die and they are a quick fix.

Hunter
This is for Texas ZJ1 about the ignition coil.

I've got an ongoing rough idle problem. I've tried all the fixes I know of and have read on this forum (new plugs, filters, cleaning throttle bottle, decarbonizing combustion chamber/exhaust valve, etc).

Recently, the Jeep started to misfire, began cranking longer before starting and gave me my first MIL (misfire #4 cylinder), which hasn't gone away in 2 weeks, so I know it's still happening. Consequently, I think it's an ignition problem. As someone who's had ignition problems, did you have any of the above problems (rough idle, misfiring) with a bad coil. I'm taking it into the dealership next week and want to know what I'm looking at in terms of cost.
ccyoder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.