Starting Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Starting Problem

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
Chuck831

Starting Problem

Ok, I'm getting ready to give up. I have a 2001 Grand with the 6 cyl. Today the remote door locks worked and unlocked all the doors. When I started the vehicle it seemed to start for a moment then just died. Then I turn the key nothing happens. It doesn't crank. There is a fast clicking under the dash even when the key is out of the ingnetion. When you turn the key to the on position none of the gauges work, radio doesn't work. Fuses seem fine. The seat belt light works fine. I don't think it is the battery cause the battery isn't that old.

Could someone give me some ideas.

Thanks.

Unread 07-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

If itís the original battery than it is old. If it were newer than I would say the battery posts.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

battery
cables
corrosion
My battery cable that goes to the fuse block broke . killing all power to the inside of the vehicle... I used a lawn mower battery cable , attached one end to the battery bolt then the other to the fuse block, That was a temporary fix.I have now replaced the starter cable end with a different type to make it look cleaner, than just the lawn mower cable attached to a bolt. I might see if I can get a pic
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
John in MA
1994 ZJ 

First thing I'd check is the battery. Jump it or charge it. But the clicking with the key out sounds strange.
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
DSMtuner

daaaamn...same thing happened to me just now...lol! my '01 won't start...radio comes on, batt reads bout 9v. ****load of rubber/gel like corrosion on my neg post. got most of it off with a screwdriver...just ran up here now for a wrench. still won't start...all i get is one click when i turn the key.
DSMtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2006, 05:42 AM   #6
Jaws2381

I think it's your battery. I have a 2001 I6 as well and this happened to me two weeks ago. Every thing was fine and then in a parking lot I tried to start it. It didn't turn over immediatly so I stoped. Then Clicking sounds in the dash and door. You battery can have enough power to keep your lights on yet not enough to even try to start. Make sure their is no corosion on your terminals and your connection is solid... I replaced my battery and clean up my terminals and it starts up like a champ now.
Jaws2381 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.