starting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > starting problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 12-21-2002, 05:38 PM   #1
sullyce

starting problem

My 93 Grand Cherokee won't start on the first crank - I have to turn the key off and on 5 to 20 times until the check engine light comes on before it starts. On the control panel the oil level light is on despite no need for oil. This sensor was replaced along with a tune up- and within a few days the oil light was on again and running rough. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....P.S. - now I'm having trouble with my headlights..they wouldn't go on low, only high until I shut my jeep off and on a few times, then they worked....something in my wiring?

Last edited by sullyce; 12-24-2002 at 09:49 PM..
sullyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2002, 11:40 PM   #2
MJR

What does it do ?. When you turn it to the crank position does it make a single click noise ?.
Unread 12-22-2002, 09:52 AM   #3
sullyce

starting problem

No clicking noise - it cranks like normal, but doesn't start until the engine light comes on
Unread 12-25-2002, 04:39 PM   #4
MJR

Sounds unusual. Two of the most common things that can cause a cranks no start problem are the fuel pump and ignition coil.
Unread 12-25-2002, 07:06 PM   #5
sullyce

starting problem

The mechanic checked the fuel pump- that was ok. I'm coming to think the problem is in the wiring harness where it comes thru the firewall in the breaker box driver's side. I had problems a while ago with wiper delay ....as well as the factory alarm - I have been unable to lock the jeep for fear of that annoying honking...
Unread 12-25-2002, 09:41 PM   #6
MJR

The primary problem with the alarm system on 93-95 was the underhood switch. This was eliminated in later years for this reason. I always just pull it out and throw it away. The problem was that as the hood expanded/contracted from temperature changes it would trigger the alarm. It's over by the battery.

The alarm can be reset with a key in the LF/RF/Hatch or with the keyless remote.

I have seen water leaks on the driverside cause problems also.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.