starting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > starting problem

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 04-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
swalton
1996 ZJ 

starting problem

I have a 96 jeep grand cherokee. Last week I was having issues starting the car. I would have press the gas to start and stay running. I put fuel cleaner in and changed the fuel filter. I'm still experiencing a longer crank time, but runs well when started. There are no check engine lights or anything. It resets my computer in the center though. Any help would be appreciated as to what the issue could be. Than you.

swalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

ckps? could be a few things. I replaced my ckps with a nonmopar and got lucky my jeep didn't hate it, but I get a little bit longer crank then I used to. Could also be your fuel pressure sending unit (proper term fail hopefully you can figure out what I mean)
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
swalton
1996 ZJ 

How do I check my fuel pressure? Do you know what I would need? Thanks for the help.
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

first off, put in your vehicle information on your profile so we know what you're working with. Someone else will have to chime in on how to check fuel pressure.
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
jeepkid945
1993 ZJ 

Mine was the valve cover gasket leaking oil Into the plug for the coolant temp sensor on the front of the engine.

Last edited by jeepkid945; 04-22-2013 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: mispelling
jeepkid945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Sounds like fuel pump check valve isn't doing its job and letting fuel in the lines drain back into the tank. Does it do it worse when it hasn't been running in a while?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Turn key ON for a few seconds before starting. See if that helps crank time.

For idle problem, clean IAC valve and Throttle Body (including the IAC port).

If your VIC resets, possibly bad solder joints in the VIC... or loose/corroded battery cable connection... or bad battery. Clean and tighten battery cables BOTH ends. If battery is old/questionable, have it tested.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
swalton
1996 ZJ 

Well yesterday I unplugged the battery and that seemed to help for maybe 30 min. After I was able to start it drive it for 10-15 min with no problem. After an hour or two same issue with start up. It cranks too long and have to push gas for start. Also when I turn the key to "on" for 10 sec doesn't help at all unfortunately. But if it were the fuel pump would it even let me start the car even if I have to push the gas? Then once it is driven or warmed up I have to constantly keep foot on the gas. We cleaned the IAC 2 days ago. I will try and clean the throttle body. bad solder joints in the vic? what does that mean ? Thank you for the help.
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

your vic has wires coming to the back of it to push info, its recommended they get re soldered after 100k. Mine beeps at me and says "service 4wd switch" then I push on the middle bottom of the screen and it stops so those solders could be the reason why your VIC resets, essentially like having a lose cable going into your tv causing intermittent service
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
swalton
1996 ZJ 

So I figured out the issue. Can you guess what it was? Bad Battery. Bought a new one and now it runs great again. So glad it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Still stumped on how that would make it not idle right. lol Thanks for the help.
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalton View Post
So I figured out the issue. Can you guess what it was? Bad Battery. Bought a new one and now it runs great again. So glad it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Still stumped on how that would make it not idle right. lol Thanks for the help.
The PCM runs all of the sensors that makes the engine run correctly. If it doesn't have clean 12 v power, the sensors are affected, in turn, the engine doesn't run correctly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.