Starting problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Starting problem

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #1
miataeric
1998 ZJ 

Starting problem

My jeep never starts on the first try. I used to crank it two or three times to get it going. Now I just turn the key to the "on" position and wait for the pump to run. I do that two or three times before I crank it. When I do that, it starts right away.

I'm hoping the problem is not in the pump module since I don't want to remove my gas tank or cut a hole in my floor. If it is the pump, I'll just do the Swampy Bypass while I have it all apart. Why did they put the pump in the tank in the first place?

Unread 08-22-2004, 07:54 AM   #2
miataeric
1998 ZJ 

Could there be a leak between the pump and the injectors causing pressure to drop off once the car sits (turned off) for a while? If you turn it off and back on again quickly, it starts right up.
Unread 08-22-2004, 01:20 PM   #3
miataeric
1998 ZJ 

Numbers

I've got more information now. I tested the fuel pressure and these are my results:
If I turn on the pump (put key in ON position): 15psi, dropping very quickly to 0.
If I turn the pump on twice (On - Off - ON): 30psi, dropping very quickly to 0.
If the car is idling, 50psi which is within the normal operating range.

Any ideas?
Unread 08-22-2004, 01:34 PM   #4
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

there is a one way valve but location unknown most likely on pump.... and probably not serviceable... i guess you can add one inline by the filter.....

or just wait a few seconds before you try to start it each time....

you know turn key on then fasten your seat belt then start the jeep
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.