Starting Issues/No Oil Pressure (Seafoam) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Starting Issues/No Oil Pressure (Seafoam)

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 07-18-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Starting Issues/No Oil Pressure (Seafoam)

Alright so as most of you know from my 3 other threads, I seafoamed the ZJ. [Sorry about the flooding, I'm getting desperate] All went well except she stalled prematurely (to fast down the brake booster) and she died on the "victory drive." I didn't have oil pressure so I did a roadside oil change which didn't help anything. SO I changed my spark plugs which is adviced if your having post-seafoam issues. I just got done with that and she started up real nice and strong. And then my lamp hanging from the hood fell, shattered and upon impact the engine died LOL. I'm pretty sure that was pure coincidence since a lamp falling on the valve cover/alternator shouldn't do anything.

I tried to start her up again and she didn't turn over after the first few cranks so here I am. I still don't have oil pressure. And I cleared all the glass shards...lol

Seriously...what is going on here?

Unread 07-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

I also found this when changing my oil filter. I'm sure what it is but it looks broken. It sits right above the oil filter on the oil filter adapter.

Unread 07-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Thats your oil pressure sending unit. Explains the no oil pressure thing.
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
zRoxxah
1996 ZJ 

Alright so I replaced the oil sending unit. Still no pressure. I should've know this since before I left the driveway to go on the victory lap I didn't have pressure. I'm going to drop the pan and clean the pick up line then see what happens.

Basically she starts sometimes, no oil pressure on the gauge and stalls about after 3-5 minutes. Fresh spark plugs and a full tank.
Unread 08-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
djtricia
1998 ZJ 

No oil pressure/stalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRoxxah View Post
Alright so I replaced the oil sending unit. Still no pressure. I should've know this since before I left the driveway to go on the victory lap I didn't have pressure. I'm going to drop the pan and clean the pick up line then see what happens.

Basically she starts sometimes, no oil pressure on the gauge and stalls about after 3-5 minutes. Fresh spark plugs and a full tank.

Could it be that the fuel pump shuts off if there's no oil pressure?
djtricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtricia View Post
Could it be that the fuel pump shuts off if there's no oil pressure?
Nope. my sender was broken for a few months, and never had any issues. Check your spark plug wires to make sure they're in the right place(order). Also, Have you changed your Crankcase Position Sensor? If not, then change it out...
eagsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
Muskitokid
1994 ZJ 

I know you said new plugs, but are you getting good fire to them from the coil?
Muskitokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Stalls after 3-5 minutes? Like when the temp gauge starts getting near the 210 mark?
If so, unplug your upstream o2 sensor. It will give you a check engine light...but see if it stalls with it unplugged. If not....replace it with an NTK brand sensor. Rockauto.com has them for about $32.

Otherwise, go thru Zeejays dirty dozen list.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."
Oldfrog is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.