Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  BigLebowski 
#1 ·
Hello, I just joined the jeep community yesterday. I bought a 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 6 cylinder! This site has a wealth of knowledge, thanks everyone. When I bought the car it fired up without a hitch. When I tried to start it up this morning all I got was cranking and no running. If someone could throw some insight my way I would be very thankful. Im no mechanic but I think it is a fuel problem...?

#3 ·
Could be the infamous Crank Position Sensor.

If you wanna check fuel system:
Do you hear the fuel pump when you turn the key to "on"?
If so get a fuel pressure gauge and check fuel pressure before a cold start and after warmed up. Start with that and post your findings.

Welcome to JF

#7 ·
its probably fuel but to rule out the CKS just pop off the wire that runs from the coil to the distributor, have someone try to start it while you hold the wire close to the block or valve cover, it should arc over rapidly. if you have a multimeter you can also test for voltage at the coil harness

#8 ·
Problem Solved

Thanks for the advice guys, it turned out to be a bad connection at the pcm. I replaced the wiring harness and pcm. I was able to find a rebuilt one for $200 dealership wanted $800! Once the new one was in it threw out the code for the IAC. Replaced that and Im good to go.

On another note, I noticed a rattling sound coming from the front end when Im idling in first gear. It doesn't always make this noise, but when it does it is pretty noticable. Sounds like something is shaking against something else possibly.

#9 ·
check the exhaust shielding on the cat. also tap it with a screwdriver and see if it rattles, they often cause rattling at idle when they die and the shielding typically breaks free of them and can cause it as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.