Starter Write-up/How-to - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Starter Write-up/How-to

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
bigray122
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Starter Write-up/How-to

Forgive me if I've missed it or searched and didn't find it. But I'm looking to replace my started and write-ups always help the process along. Is there one on this site or any other?

Here is my issue. Brand new batter in November. Then about a month ago, I went to start it and it sounded as if the battery were dead. I hit it with the charger. That happened a few times. Then that wouldn't help either. So I grabbed pliers and tapped away at the starter in desparation. BOOSH! Worked like a champ. I've been doing that for a week now. It sounds like a starter issue to me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Ray

bigray122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Doing starter's real easy, just 2 bolts to take out (on different sides of bellhousing though). Take the electric loom off first (small socket & ratchet helps here)
Dont forget to disconnect the battery since starter is energised even with ignition off.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Yeah, my son used to carry a hammer with him to tap the starter when the armature ended up on a dead spot. Pretty simple to replace as shaban said, disconnect the battery first, and here's a real short video. Use some brake cleaner with wire brush/emery cloth or sandpaper to clean the old oily contacts off before connecting a new one and good idea to wear safety glasses.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.