starter question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > starter question.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 04-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
bad_juju20
1998 ZJ 

starter question.

I was looking to get some insight on my starter. I bought my 5.9 about a year ago, and since day one everytime i go to start up it is like i am low on voltage. It looks like the P.O. replace the alternator so I assume it is most likely 130 A, but I never checked the numbers. I also had them put a new battery in. It has always started up but feels like it is either weak itself(starter) or not enough power to crank it around. anyone have a similar situation or an idea on the matter? I'm trying to decide if i should get a dodge 160A or a new starter not enough money in the budget for both!

Last edited by bad_juju20; 04-09-2012 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: please remove my post. thanks
bad_juju20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

You probably already solved this, but just in case check all the wiring ends. The alternator does not affect starting much, except indirectly by not charging the battery properly. This is unlikely as you got a new battery and the issue persisted.

My 5.9 was starting weak, so I check the battery and it was bad. Replaced it and had stronger starts. A few weeks later, it weakened to the point of not turning over but the battery checked out fine and was charging properly. I cleaned the terminals at the starter and it started very strong for a while more, but weakened eventually to the point of not turning over all the time even though I could hear the relay (not the solenoid) click. I took apart my battery cables and didn't have enough slack to cut and expose fresh copper so I did something else. Today, I installed some marine terminals and crimped, then soldered all the wiring to some copper lugs. It's never started as strong as it does now. Looks like I was having problems at both ends of the cables and now all that I need to do is touch up the chassis ground since it's the last thing left to mess with.

First rule of electrical issues is to check, and re-check, then verify, and re-verify that adequate power is indeed getting to the circuit in question. Check all your wiring ends, then fix or replace if needed. It's cheaper than a starter and I for one am glad I haven't given up on mine, yet.

Tags
alternator , starter

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.