Starter Motor issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Starter Motor issue

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
johnpartington6
1998 ZJ 

Starter Motor issue

I replaced the original starter motor on my Grand Cherokee 2.5 diesel with a non 'jeep' replacement but it always made a strange whirring sound when starting and the motor only lasted a few months, assuming a bad motor I replaced again with non jeep and the same happened. Has anyone had this problem or can anyone confirm that 'jeep' starter motor only is suitable and why?

johnpartington6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpartington6 View Post
I replaced the original starter motor on my Grand Cherokee 2.5 diesel with a non 'jeep' replacement but it always made a strange whirring sound when starting and the motor only lasted a few months, assuming a bad motor I replaced again with non jeep and the same happened. Has anyone had this problem or can anyone confirm that 'jeep' starter motor only is suitable and why?
Aftermarket parts are aftermarket which in turn are not exactly OEM, granted. However you will sometimes more than not get a fairly decent part from your local parts store. I have to say that unless, the retail aftermarket starter's gear was not aligned properly or gear housing damaged, issues can arise. To answer your question. However, I have to say, the same issue has arisen before in a Jeep Liberty 2.5L LTD, closes thing I have over here. When this happened to me at work, I just ordered a factory starter and ate the difference to help the customer out. Rather this is helpful or not, I gave it a shot. Unfortunately, I do not have anymore information, but will research some more and get back.
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
johnpartington6
1998 ZJ 

The aftermarket parts seemed to fit ok and flywheel seems ok as no metal shavings apparent when we removed them. The noise sounds like the starter is not disengaging quickly enough or something so maybe the OEM version is very slightly diferrent? I will try a cheap used OEM starter just to test the theory first without too much cost and will post here how I get on. Thanks.
Unread 11-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
johnpartington6
1998 ZJ 

I have obtained a starter motor but it is made by 'bosch' is this an original jeep part ot aftermarket, if so who should the manufacturer be?
Unread 11-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

I could be wrong but I think it was denso or mitsubushi. Don't quote me on that one.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
johnpartington6
1998 ZJ 

Can anyone confirm if the starter motor should have 9 or 11 teeth? The car is 2.5 diesel and was manufactured 1998/1999.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.