Starter Clank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Starter Clank

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Starter Clank

Heres a video of it starting, you can here right after it starts the clank of the starter. Its like the starter doesn't pull away fast enough and catches the fly wheel. Ive tried the starter from my 5.2, and a new one from napa, all 3 do the same thing, ive tried washers to pull it further away. Ive taken the inspection cover off the trans and looked at every single tooth on the fly wheel, i ve watched the fly wheel while its running and it has no run out or odd vibrations.

I am at a loss, please help.

Unread 09-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

anyone?
Unread 09-21-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Bump

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Really? no one has any wisdom to enlighten me with?

i am getting a little bored driving my twin turbo minivan every where.

please, any ideas, any at all.

might just pull the trans off and replace the fly wheel, but i really really really dont want to.
Unread 09-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

You know I would gladly help you if I could.
I would say look at the flex plate but I bet you have already.
How long is that video ? I have dial-up and it can take forever.

Have you tried doing it with the coil wire off to see what it does not running ?
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
You know I would gladly help you if I could.
I would say look at the flex plate but I bet you have already.
How long is that video ? I have dial-up and it can take forever.

Have you tried doing it with the coil wire off to see what it does not running ?
the video is 14 seconds long. (both are, but second one you can hear it a little better)

i have taken the coil off, and it doesn't make any unusual noises, it just seems to do it when the motor revs up a bit when it finally and it would still be slightly engaged.

yes i have looked at the flex plate, i spent 30 minutes under there with a flashlight and a wrench on the crank looking at every single tooth, i started it with the inspection cover off, and looked at it running, the flex plate doesn't have any run out, nor does it wobble or anything.

i don't think you need to shim these starters like old chevs but i could be wrong, its near impossible to check clearance anyways.
Unread 09-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Starter relay staying energize when key is released?
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

I finally got the 1st vid downloaded and at about 10 seconds I see and hear the compressor clicking on ?

I knew that you would have checked the plate but threw it out there anyway.

Have you done anything new to it or has this just started out of the blue?

I will download the 2nd vid and see what I hear now.
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS97ZJ View Post
Starter relay staying energize when key is released?
i don't think so, i did put a test light on it, and seems fine, did swap relays, no different.

i also tried holding the key longer than i should, and it only seems to do it right after i let go, like when the starter is sucking back.
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I finally got the 1st vid downloaded and at about 10 seconds I see and hear the compressor clicking on ?

I knew that you would have checked the plate but threw it out there anyway.

Have you done anything new to it or has this just started out of the blue?

I will download the 2nd vid and see what I hear now.
its right after it starts, may have to turn the volume up a bit.

it started doing it after i fuel hydro locked in moab and the mechanic there tried turning it over, i had initially thought i sheared some teeth from the flex plate and it just made noise as it passed over.
then i checked out the flex plate an it was all normal, so i figure possible it bent the shaft on the starter and it wasn't releasing quick enough, so i stole the starter off my 5.2, watched how fast the gear sucked back on both of them and the 5.2 one ( pretty new) did suck back faster, so i thought great it must be that, put it in and it was worse, so then i called a friend and we looked over everything agin and everything mechanical checked out, so i figured i had nothing to loose by buying another starter (other than 200 bucks , but o well) then it did the same thing.

i am not sure if its possible that it bent the bell housing where it mounted at all, tomorrow i might try open up the holes on the starter a bit so i can position it a little further away from the flex plate.

i mean if i have to pull the trans at that point i might as well stick a 408 under the hood.

i also only have very limited time to work on it, going to school and working full time, ive been working on it when i come home at 3 in the morning for a few hours before i have to wake up at 7 for school, and running to napa on lunch breaks. so needles to say its a huge frustration
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

All work and no play makes Jack a dull and very burnt out boy.
Sorry Jake I can't hear it in the second vid either.
I will listen to it somemore but I do have the volume up all the way.

Your motor does sound sweet by the way.
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #12
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
All work and no play makes Jack a dull and very burnt out boy.
Sorry Jake I can't hear it in the second vid either.
I will listen to it somemore but I do have the volume up all the way.

Your motor does sound sweet by the way.
I know, its brutal.

its like maybe 5 seconds in, that clatter right after it cranks.

haha thanks, after driving my truck for too long i start to think it sounds good, then i fire up the jeep and remember how good v8's sound, diesels, v10's and turbo v6s just don't have them same beautiful sound.
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #13
swillett
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what do the teeth on your starter pinion look like?
swillett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #14
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swillett View Post
what do the teeth on your starter pinion look like?
good almost no wear on the original starter, and the one from napa has a brand new gear.

if i can find some, i could put some gear marking compound on it, to make sure it doesn't have some strange contact pattern.
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #15
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Jake did you ever figure out the starter problem ???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.