Stalls When Put in Gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stalls When Put in Gear

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
dangeo
1996 ZJ 

Stalls When Put in Gear

1996 Grand Cherokee
4.0L
Inline 6

A few days ago i was driving and the engine started running really rough. it then felt as though it was losing power (i floored it and was barely able to maintain current speed) when i took my foot off the gas it stalled immediatly and would not restart. i towed it home and replaced the crankshaft position sensor and it started up, however it was still running really rough. i thought it was a misfire problem so i changed the plugs and wires. that seemed to fix the rough running. now i can start it and it is fairly smooth (still seems a little rough) and it will run just fine untill i shift into drive or reverse. when i do it stalls and shuts down. im at a loss for what to do next. i have had the alternator tested and it was good. the battery is a month old and still good. any ideas?

dangeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Did you use a Mopar sensor? Did you disconnect the battery? Possible prob with your Neutral safety switch
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
dangeo
1996 ZJ 

I used a Duralast crankshaft sensor.
Yes, I did disconect the battery for ten minutes after switching the sensor and before starting it up.
If it was the NSS wouldnt it not start in park. I can get it to start and run in park no problem, when I try to put it in gear it stalls out.
Unread 08-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangeo View Post
I used a Duralast crankshaft sensor.
Yes, I did disconect the battery for ten minutes after switching the sensor and before starting it up.
If it was the NSS wouldnt it not start in park. I can get it to start and run in park no problem, when I try to put it in gear it stalls out.
1. Only use Mopar sensors on a Jeep.

2. Check your transmission dipstick while running warm in neutral.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

i gotta ask the obvious here... does your CEL work, as evidenced by coming on for 3 seconds when the key is in the ON position; and if you know it works, did it come on during any of drivability issues?
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Ditto on the Mopar crank sensor.
Otherwise, right now, I'm leaning towards the IAC, TPS , a dirty throttle body, or even a bad vacuum leak. The TPS is sometimes the culprit when it doesnt want to "go" while driving, no matter how much gas pedal you give it. But let's not go replacing sensors until we narrow it down.

As Jason said, I'd start by checking the tranny fluid, then I'd clean the throttle body and IAC.

Go ahead and pull the codes too.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
dangeo
1996 ZJ 

The CEL isnt comimg on.
Trans fluid is good.
How do you check the TPS?
Unread 08-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
dangeo
1996 ZJ 

Dont know if this is related, but I just found some oil on the air filter.
Unread 08-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Dont know if this is related, but I just found some oil on the air filter.
Your CCV system is clogged somewhere, or you have a vacuum leak as mentioned above.

Both could cause oil on the air filter. You can remove those elbows on the valve cover and see how gooey they are - they should be clean. The elbow in the back is almost like a pinhole inside and is prone to clogging. Be careful removing them as they are somewhat easy to break, you may want to try to warm up the engine if you can to soften the elbow gaskets first. Look in the elbow holes the valve cover too - if it's really gross in there it may be a good idea to take it off and clean it so your engine can breathe, and maybe throw on a new valve cover gasket too while you're in there
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
dangeo
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNicholson View Post

Your CCV system is clogged somewhere, or you have a vacuum leak as mentioned above.

Both could cause oil on the air filter. You can remove those elbows on the valve cover and see how gooey they are - they should be clean. The elbow in the back is almost like a pinhole inside and is prone to clogging. Be careful removing them as they are somewhat easy to break, you may want to try to warm up the engine if you can to soften the elbow gaskets first. Look in the elbow holes the valve cover too - if it's really gross in there it may be a good idea to take it off and clean it so your engine can breathe, and maybe throw on a new valve cover gasket too while you're in there
Well, that was it. Clogged ccv.
Thanks for all the help everyone.
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:

Well, that was it. Clogged ccv.
Thanks for all the help everyone.
Well hot damn! Glad it worked out!

ZJ FSM
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Fk&usp=sharing
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.