Stalling/Stuttering Problem 94 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stalling/Stuttering Problem 94 Grand Cherokee

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
LadyRavenwood
2000 FSJ Cherokee 

Stalling/Stuttering Problem 94 Grand Cherokee

Hello everyone,

I have a new issue with my Jeep. Yesterday, while I was stopped at a traffic light, my engine suddenly shut off. I had to roll off to the side of the road, which was a pain in the *** since the power steering wasn't working. It started right back up and ran pretty crappy afterward, stuttering and slight bucking, but no more stalling. I also noticed that when I was doing highway speed on the way home, my RMP needle was jerking slightly. Then today my husband took it to work and after about 20 minutes he said it started stuttering and almost stalled out on him. The check engine light came on for a second then when off again, but the Jeep didn't stall out.

Here are the facts:
I have a 94 Grand Cherokee Laredo with a 4.0 6L. engine. I've recently replaced the starter and last year replaced the thermostat.

Yesterday the heat worked but wasn't as hot as it normally gets. It wasn't until I had driven over 11 miles that the heat actually got hot.

When I had the Jeep parked and running for about five minutes after driving 11 miles, the engine temp shot up over 200. As soon as I began driving, the temp lowered to normal.

Also, it has been extremely cold here the past two days with lows at night of about 5 and with the highs being in the mid teens during the day and wind chills in the negatives.

I park in an unheated garage at night and during the day it's parked in the full sun. Could this be an issue with my anti-freeze? Also, could this be an issue with water in my gas tank? Or could this be a sensor or filter problem?

Thanks for any input!

LadyRavenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Have you checked the protection level of the antifreeze? If the cooling system wasn't adequately protected, it could have damaged the block , head, or head gasket, causing coolant to enter the combustion chamber and/or combustion to enter the cooling system. This could cause the stalling and the temperature problems you are seeing.

Water freezing in the fuel system will also cause the stalling symptoms you're having. So, check the antifreeze protection level level and if it's okay, use some Heet in the fuel tank and hope for the best.

If you were under protected for the weather conditions, it's best to park it and decide if you want to fix it or not.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I had 4* up here today. After it had been sitting in this type of weather for a couple of days, it took almost 15-20 minutes to get it hot enough to start warming the cabin.
If the coolant system was ever ignored either before you got it or while you owned it, the heater core could have a partial block, and might need to be back flushed.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Maybe it's a combination of ice in fuel and weak heater core. Now that I re-read the post, the temp swing could have been the thermostat opening.

But still check the antifreeze just to be sure there's no risk of internal damage.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
jeepgirl1321
1997 ZJ 

check your PCM plugs. they might wiggle free or need a cleaning! same thing happens to my jeep.
jeepgirl1321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.