Stalling issues. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Stalling issues.

Free shipping on slip yoke eliminator kits New lower PriceNew! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-28-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
bigblue7609

Stalling issues.

I have a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Laredo. And for the past 5 to 6 months I have had stalling issues. One day my Jeep will run fine, no problems at all and then the next it will die 5 or 6 times before i go a half a mile. When it dies sometimes it will crank right over and start up, other times it cranks and nothing. We have ran diagnostics on it three times and it gives off no codes. Also the check engine light isn't on either. Since this problem started our jeep will now backfire. And it's already blew a hole in my exahust. Also, I'm starting to smell antifreeze burning. A guy told me it may be a cracked gasket but I have had no overheating issues or anything like that. I have already replaced the ingniton coil,TPS and CPS. I thought it may be the fuel pump but I've been told that it wouldn't run that long with a bad pump. I'm not a car guy at all and the "Machanics" I know are at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I don't lose power on my dash and it doesn't matter if I'm going 20 mph or 50 it just shuts off when it wants to.

And to add more info, it doesn't die when it's ideling. But as soon as you put it in drive and give it gas it will die.

bigblue7609 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2015, 01:53 PM   #2
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/
Unread 04-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
RedRiverT
1997 ZJ 

The fuel pump doesn't necessarily have to be "bad" to cause problems. It could be that the fuel pump is sporadically losing power. The wiring connector plug back by the rear axle could be loose or badly oxidized, or the fuel pump relay in the Power Distribution Center behind the battery could have corroded/oxidized prongs, or I've seen someone post that they had a broken wire going to the fuel pump which was apparently sometimes making contact but other times not.

It could be the fuel pressure regulator is not working right sometimes.

Or it could be any of the other things in zeejay's "12 things to do" list.

The head gasket could be leaking towards the outside, causing coolant to leak out on the exhaust header but not showing other signs of a blown one. Or the leak could be from somewhere else and the coolant is getting on the hot engine, or the "burning" you smell is simply hot antifreeze and it's not actually cooking off on something super hot. A leak shouldn't be all that hard for a mechanic to find.
RedRiverT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Go through Zeejay's list below. ( in my sig line)
I'd start with the battery connections and all engine grounding points. Take them all apart, clean them and re-tighten them. Dont just look at them.

Then I'd unplug the upstream o2 sensor for a few miles and see if anything changes.

Been through this more than once, myself as have many others here. 96-98 PCMs for the 4.0 engine basically suck and getting a supposed "rebuilt" one is a krapshoot. I've had bad ones right out of the box.
I hope your cps is a Mopar, or you might have added more problems to your plight. Jeeps prefer the Mopar cps' and the NTK o2 sensors.

Please fill out your jeep info, as we dont know which engine you have. Help us to help you by doing so.

On 7th PCM. Finally got a good one.

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list

God Bless the Garland, TX Police Dept.
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.