Squeeling Noise From Passenger Side Wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Squeeling Noise From Passenger Side Wheel

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Reply
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
CanaanTSA5
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Manchester, New Hampshire
Posts: 210
Squeeling Noise From Passenger Side Wheel

I can't tell exactly where it is coming from. It's a high pitched squeeling noise. Not crazy loud though. Couldn't hear it with the radio on.

It happens more often when the Jeep has been sitting for a few hours and then starts moving. It goes away after a few minutes, I'm assuming after something heats up.

The front brakes are about 45% left. Rotors aren't that old.

I have sprayed the crap out if it with water at the spray and wash thinking it was dirt somewhere..no go.

Any ideas?

__________________
[b]- RIP Ratmonkey 5/27/13 -[/b]
1998 ZJ 4.0 I6 Stock 225/75R15 General Grabber AT2
CanaanTSA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
louie5505
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sugarloaf, Pa
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaanTSA5
I can't tell exactly where it is coming from. It's a high pitched squeeling noise. Not crazy loud though. Couldn't hear it with the radio on.

It happens more often when the Jeep has been sitting for a few hours and then starts moving. It goes away after a few minutes, I'm assuming after something heats up.

The front brakes are about 45% left. Rotors aren't that old.

I have sprayed the crap out if it with water at the spray and wash thinking it was dirt somewhere..no go.

Any ideas?
Mine is doing the same thing! I have no idea what it is
louie5505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
CanaanTSA5
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Manchester, New Hampshire
Posts: 210
I don't think its anything harmful. Its just really annoying. Any insight?
__________________
[b]- RIP Ratmonkey 5/27/13 -[/b]
1998 ZJ 4.0 I6 Stock 225/75R15 General Grabber AT2
CanaanTSA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler
 
Uniblurb's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central, Ohio
Posts: 2,813
Sure it isn't your brake caliper sticking causing one of the pads to rub/squeal on the rotor until you drive it a little while and it releases? You may want to remove your wheel and make sure your brake sliders are working good while also checking for groves in the bottom rail where the pads ride/slide.

I used to have all kinds of brake squealing/squeaking problems until I put ceramic pads on all 4 of our Jeeps. I also use this CRC Disc Brake Quiet on the backs of all my pads where they touch the metal or the caliper piston. Some real good stuff, sold at most auto parts stores, and a little $6 bottle will last you forever.

http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/cont...x?PN=05016&S=Y
__________________
96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 93 4.0 XJ (spare), 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
CanaanTSA5
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Manchester, New Hampshire
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Sure it isn't your brake caliper sticking causing one of the pads to rub/squeal on the rotor until you drive it a little while and it releases? You may want to remove your wheel and make sure your brake sliders are working good while also checking for groves in the bottom rail where the pads ride/slide.

I used to have all kinds of brake squealing/squeaking problems until I put ceramic pads on all 4 of our Jeeps. I also use this CRC Disc Brake Quiet on the backs of all my pads where they touch the metal or the caliper piston. Some real good stuff, sold at most auto parts stores, and a little $6 bottle will last you forever.

http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/cont...x?PN=05016&S=Y
I do know that one of the front rotors felt like it was warped a bit when I first got them on a while back. But it stopped pulsating while braking right before winter hit. It might be the passengers side rotor. Could that theoretically be causing something to stick?

Brakes really aren't my forte...
__________________
[b]- RIP Ratmonkey 5/27/13 -[/b]
1998 ZJ 4.0 I6 Stock 225/75R15 General Grabber AT2
CanaanTSA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler
 
Uniblurb's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central, Ohio
Posts: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaanTSA5 View Post
I do know that one of the front rotors felt like it was warped a bit when I first got them on a while back. But it stopped pulsating while braking right before winter hit. It might be the passengers side rotor. Could that theoretically be causing something to stick?

Brakes really aren't my forte...
Sometimes when rotors are warped you can feel the vibration from the front end and like you said, the brakes will pulse when applied. Not good for your brakes at all, wheel bearings, and tire wear. With a warped rotor it can also loosen up the pads a little where they clip on and can cause some squealing.

Believe I'd remove the wheel and see how easy the rotor turns without it. Maybe before removing the wheel grab the tire on the outside edge and see if it moves back/forth to see if you have slop in your wheel bearing. Look at the pads and if one is wearing a lot more than the other then most likely your caliper isn't sliding correctly on the rail and is sticking.

Remove the caliper by prying it out at the top and try moving the slider pins (bushings) the bolts go through with the rubber boots on the end. They should move back/forth easily and if they don't you can remove the pin w/ the rubber boot on one end. Then use a high-temp brake grease on the pins and put a little on the top/bottom rails the pads slide on. Use no other grease other than high-temp special brake grease on any front brake parts or it will melt.

If your pins are sticking badly, or the whole caliper is rusted up, new rebuilt calipers are cheap and only $20-25/each. Depends if you can loosen them up or not. Also spin your rotor with caliper removed and see if it tracks straight w/a couple lugs on it. Below is a diagram, good luck, and ask if you need any other info.

BTW, I've replaced brake pads even with part of the pad left if they look like they've been overheated, highly glazed, and small cracks in the pad material.
brake-caliper-front-sec-5-19.jpg  
__________________
96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 93 4.0 XJ (spare), 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
zlieberman
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 20
unit bearing

If there is a high pitched squeel comeing from the wheel area that isnt being caused by the brakes, I bet it is a wheel bearing. There is a lip seal that gets flipped inside the bearing and can cause this noise. No fixing it other then replacing the wheel bearing. Ive done many of them.
zlieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
CanaanTSA5
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Manchester, New Hampshire
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Sometimes when rotors are warped you can feel the vibration from the front end and like you said, the brakes will pulse when applied. Not good for your brakes at all, wheel bearings, and tire wear. With a warped rotor it can also loosen up the pads a little where they clip on and can cause some squealing.

Believe I'd remove the wheel and see how easy the rotor turns without it. Maybe before removing the wheel grab the tire on the outside edge and see if it moves back/forth to see if you have slop in your wheel bearing. Look at the pads and if one is wearing a lot more than the other then most likely your caliper isn't sliding correctly on the rail and is sticking.

Remove the caliper by prying it out at the top and try moving the slider pins (bushings) the bolts go through with the rubber boots on the end. They should move back/forth easily and if they don't you can remove the pin w/ the rubber boot on one end. Then use a high-temp brake grease on the pins and put a little on the top/bottom rails the pads slide on. Use no other grease other than high-temp special brake grease on any front brake parts or it will melt.

If your pins are sticking badly, or the whole caliper is rusted up, new rebuilt calipers are cheap and only $20-25/each. Depends if you can loosen them up or not. Also spin your rotor with caliper removed and see if it tracks straight w/a couple lugs on it. Below is a diagram, good luck, and ask if you need any other info.

BTW, I've replaced brake pads even with part of the pad left if they look like they've been overheated, highly glazed, and small cracks in the pad material.
Took it all apart. Nothing looks out of the ordinary to me. Nothings rusty at all. Pads look a bit worn, but worn evenly on each side of the truck. Everything is spining, turning, and looks like it should.

I actually haven't heard the noise since I did that though. Might just be the warmer weather though? Or could I have just had a little bit of sand in the wrong spot that got trapped?
__________________
[b]- RIP Ratmonkey 5/27/13 -[/b]
1998 ZJ 4.0 I6 Stock 225/75R15 General Grabber AT2
CanaanTSA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
CanaanTSA5
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Manchester, New Hampshire
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlieberman View Post
If there is a high pitched squeel comeing from the wheel area that isnt being caused by the brakes, I bet it is a wheel bearing. There is a lip seal that gets flipped inside the bearing and can cause this noise. No fixing it other then replacing the wheel bearing. Ive done many of them.
Since I took apart the brakes and put them back I haven't heard the noise, but if it comes back I'll check that out too. Thanks!
__________________
[b]- RIP Ratmonkey 5/27/13 -[/b]
1998 ZJ 4.0 I6 Stock 225/75R15 General Grabber AT2
CanaanTSA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler
 
Uniblurb's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central, Ohio
Posts: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaanTSA5 View Post
Took it all apart. Nothing looks out of the ordinary to me. Nothings rusty at all. Pads look a bit worn, but worn evenly on each side of the truck. Everything is spining, turning, and looks like it should.

I actually haven't heard the noise since I did that though. Might just be the warmer weather though? Or could I have just had a little bit of sand in the wrong spot that got trapped?
Sometimes I'll get a piece of gravel stuck up between the back rotor face and the dust shield which will squeak but not all the time. You would think it would fly out at high speeds but sometimes I've had to knock them out.

Glad your front rotors/brakes checked out ok and hope you don't hear the squeaking noise anymore.
__________________
96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 93 4.0 XJ (spare), 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
KoreaZJ
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GANGNAM STYLE
Posts: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Sometimes I'll get a piece of gravel stuck up between the back rotor face and the dust shield which will squeak but not all the time. You would think it would fly out at high speeds but sometimes I've had to knock them out.
Squeaks more during turns? Or doesn't matter?
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #12
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler
 
Uniblurb's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central, Ohio
Posts: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
Squeaks more during turns? Or doesn't matter?
Doesn't really seem to matter and it's not squeaking now. My 900' curvy drive up a steep ridge is loose limestone gravel is where I'll pick up a rock now and then between the dust shield/rotor. In fact often when I head down the road I can here the rocks fly out of my tire treads into the wheel wells. I try to make sure nobody is coming for a long way when I pull out of the drive so I don't pelt them with rocks.
__________________
96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 93 4.0 XJ (spare), 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
Treleaven
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 229
I just started getting this the other day. My squeeling sounds similar to something in the brakes but it comes and goes and can change with a wiggle of the steering wheel.
__________________
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Kelowna, BC
Treleaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #14
Zakimations
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kaysville, UT
Posts: 113
Dust cap

I had the same issue after I replaced my axle shafts,

Somehow during the process i tweaked my dust cover,

A quick tweaking with a pry bar fixed it forever.
Zakimations is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #15
KoreaZJ
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GANGNAM STYLE
Posts: 2,666
Need to try that. Mine have a tinny screech at times like the shields are rubbing.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.