Squealing sound from engine and shut off. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Squealing sound from engine and shut off.

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
shortyguy303
1996 ZJ 

Squealing sound from engine and shut off.

Hey guys,
This is my first post here so sorry if I'm doing it wrong.

Last night I was driving my 96 ZJ and about 10-15 seconds in I notice a squealing sound coming from the engine. When I took my foot of the gas it stopped and didn't come back when pressed the pedal again. Everything felt like it was running fine so I figured I would just need to replace a belt soon. I kept driving and got about a mile down the road (all down hill) and when I came to a stop sign the engine seemed to just slow down and then shut off completely. It was smooth sort of as if the RPM's just kept going down to zero as I made my stop. All of my lights and the radio were still on, just the engine had turned off. I tried to turn the car back on, but it would not turn over and began making a funky, sort of burning smell, so I coasted over and called a tow truck. The first thing I thought was perhaps I was overheating but the gauge was normal. I checked the serpentine belt and it seemed fine.

When the tow truck arrived about 20 minutes later, my car started without too much trouble, but the squealing was constant and the funky smell was back. We towed it back up the hill and I was able to drive it into a parking spot, but it was squealing the whole time.

This morning I went out and started it again, and it started up fine and the squeal disappeared after about a half second. I also couldn't smell anything, either. It may just be in my head but I thought perhaps the engine sounded a little differently, like it was maybe lightly sputtering.

I am sure I am going to have to take it in, I was just wondering if anyone might be able to give me a heads up for what I am looking at as well as whether or not I should attempt to drive it down to a mechanic or just get it towed. Also I have the regular L6 engine and the radiator was replaced about 3 years ago.

shortyguy303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

What comes to mind first is a frozen pulley. Was everything, alternator, power steering pump, water pump, tensioner and idler, turning? If one isn't turning it will make the squealing noise, cause the burning smell, and kill the engine at low rpm.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensnelling View Post
What comes to mind first is a frozen pulley. Was everything, alternator, power steering pump, water pump, tensioner and idler, turning? If one isn't turning it will make the squealing noise, cause the burning smell, and kill the engine at low rpm.

Ken
That was my thought as well. The failing pulley bearing heated up, the metal expanded, it seized and stalled the engine. Once it cooled down, it unseized, which allowed you to start and run it the next day.
Unread 04-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
shortyguy303
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensnelling View Post

Ken
Thanks for the replies! When I checked it this morning (when the squeal stopped immediately after turning on the car) everything seemed to be turning, last night however it was too dark for me to tell. This seems to be a pretty reasonable explanation given the symptoms. What can cause a pulley to freeze like that?
shortyguy303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
That was my thought as well. The failing pulley bearing heated up, the metal expanded, it seized and stalled the engine. Once it cooled down, it unseized, which allowed you to start and run it the next day.
Like he said, a bearing seizing up. Also, If it does turn out to be a pulley (my bet is either the idler or tensioner pulley) also replace the belt. Sliding across a non-turning bearing is very bad on the belt.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.