squealing pulley - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > squealing pulley

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
3hundredkplus
1996 ZJ 

squealing pulley

So my power steering pulley squeals when I accelerate. I know its the pulley, when I lubricate it the noise stops for a minute, then returns. There is a new belt, fluid is full, and the sound just started after a hard brake situation. Any help? (5.2 L v8)

3hundredkplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Are you sure it's the PS pulley and not the tension pulley?
You mentioned lubricating it.
Is it belt squeal, or a bearing ?
What kind of belt are you using?
I found that only Gates belts work on my 4.0. Others like the gator back belt.
No one uses a Dayco belt for more than a week. They cant handle it.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
3hundredkplus
1996 ZJ 

I am positive its the ps pulley. I just replaced it. And the tensioner is on the other side of the engine so I highly doubt lubricating the ps pulley would stop squeal from the tensioner. the grooves of the pulleys are clean and there wasn't squealiing until the other day(150 mi on the belt). And the squeal goes away when lubricant is added to the ps pulley near the pump shaf.
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
3hundredkplus
1996 ZJ 

Turns out it was the belt afterall. Might have gotten some coolant/oil on it. Anyone know a good cleaning procedure to eliminate squeal on the belt?
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I soak them in a 5-gallon bucket of warm soapy water, scrub with a fine wire brush, pull a hook pick through the grooves, rinse, and let dry thoroughly before reinstalling. Naptha (white gas) or carb cleaner/brake cleaner also works to get rid of oil, grease, or coolant in the grooves. The wire brush also breaks up any shiny/slippery spots on the face of the belt.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #6
3hundredkplus
1996 ZJ 

I used the water and soap and hit the pulleys with some solvent and a brush. I was a little hesitant to use petrol based solvents on the belt though for risk of drying out the rubber. Water, soap, and a little scraping worked great. Last 2 days... no squeak.
Unread 04-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #7
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hundredkplus View Post
I used the water and soap and hit the pulleys with some solvent and a brush. I was a little hesitant to use petrol based solvents on the belt though for risk of drying out the rubber. Water, soap, and a little scraping worked great. Last 2 days... no squeak.
If the noise comes back I would replace that tensioner.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.