Squealing in the front drive shaft - But where? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Squealing in the front drive shaft - But where?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

Squealing in the front drive shaft - But where?

Alright let's put our minds together and figure this one out. The past few days I have noticed a slight squealing sound coming from somewhere on the Jeep. I ruled out the drivetrain belt, all of the pulleys, air intake leaks and basically everything in the engine compartment because I began to notice it only does it when moving. So then I checked all of the fluids in the differentials, transmission and transfer case to make sure nothing was running dry. Thankfully everything there was good. So today I tool off the front driver tire and spun hub and sure enough there it was. After much troubleshooting I have come to pin point the sound coming from the front drive shaft. I am almost positive it is coming from the connection of the drive shaft and transfer case.

My question is, is there any bearing, nut etc that could be causing the sound in the connection? I am pretty sure it's not the CV Joints. I mean why would they make noise if they aren't really engaged. So that being said, I am almost positive it's something with the connection. Almost like it needs more grease?

So that's my run down. I plan on dropping the front drive shaft and spinning it to verify if it's coming from the TC / drive shaft connection or Differential / Drive shaft connection.

But yea, anyone similar issues? Results? Help? Alright cool.

Thanks guys!

A Little Taste of Jersey Wheelin Of A 1997 & 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's For Your Enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxa3-LJhz-Y
steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Mine did that and it was the double cardon joint. It may be just dry, but I am never that lucky.

Pretty easy to fix it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...w-pics-480311/

One thing, if you look at post 4...if the stud where the bearings ride is worn down, the fix gets way more complicated and you may want to thing about a replacement driveshaft.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

interesting. CV joints are not new to me, I just did my front axle ones over the summer.
This is a great write up. As I read it, I bet it's that boot that is just worn out and needs re greasing.

I don't think ill have time right away to get my hands dirty and fix it right away. [B]Would it be alright if I were to drop the drive shaft for now and drive without it for now? Until I get around to fix it?

I ask because my Jeep is a DD. And I don't want to keep driving it with the possibility of it getting worse.

A Little Taste of Jersey Wheelin Of A 1997 & 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's For Your Enjoyment.

Unread 03-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Mine was the part that extends and shortens. From not being greased enough and bad pinion angle
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

Mine started squealing a little while back, and come to find out it was the double-cardon on my drive shaft. I went ahead and replaced the u-joints in the double-cardon and also greased up the pivot points in the double-cardon. When taking it apart be very careful as there is a small spring inside the joint.

Since your Jeep is a 97, yes you can remove the front drive shaft and still drive without worrying about it rolling when you put it in park. Some of the older Jeeps will roll when you remove the drive shaft but I can't remember which year it starts at, but I do know it's not the year close to mine.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

pop the driveshaft out and drive it. if the noise is still there, its gotta be something in the axle. if its gone, then its in the driveshaft
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

Thanks folks.
I took the driveshaft out and sure enough the noise has disappeared. The U - Joints/CV joints look to be in good shape. They move around pretty nicely. But the "bearing" inside of the double yoke seems to be broken.

I went down to autozone and they want $251 for the part in which they think it is...I laughed and walked out.
If you know of where I can find that part, please post it. I don't think it's going to be an easy find...

HighLonesome
Does this seem like the correct part? This is what Autozone believes is it. I can't seem to get an accurate part..
http://www.google.com/search?q=dorma...%3B1500%3B1500

Thanks!

Unread 04-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

You can get a replacement driveshaft from Carolina Driveline for around $200 I think. Been a few years since I checked.

Not sure about the part, but here is an 800 number to a Dana distributor

1-800-255-6468

They are local to me, Ujoints Inc.

Or Kolak will get Dana I think.
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

Thanks,
I am not looking to replace the entire drive shaft. There is no need to. I just need to replace that ball joint that sits in the middle of the double yoke, but can't seem to find one.

Unread 04-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve L. View Post
Thanks,
I am not looking to replace the entire drive shaft. There is no need to. I just need to replace that ball joint that sits in the middle of the double yoke.
Centering yoke. I think welding and rebalancing is required. Not sure, no expert.

Does this help?
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driv...iveshaft-5.htm
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

When I read your thread, It looks like the same the same piece you had to replace a while back.
I apologize but I forgot the name. Cardone is it?
If you look at the picture I posted it's that piece that seems broken inside of the yoke.

- Yes, that's exactly it.
capture.jpg  

Unread 04-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Then just follow my rebuild thread then or the other Stu Offroad one I posted. Call the 800 number and order the parts. Good luck!
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #13
diirkd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve L. View Post
Thanks,
I am not looking to replace the entire drive shaft. There is no need to. I just need to replace that ball joint that sits in the middle of the double yoke, but can't seem to find one.
I had the same problem. Order the inner yoke with 2 new u-joints all in one rebuild kit for 80$ came with a new spring and bolts for the transfer case side. Fixed me right up. Also if you put a lift on your jeep make sure the axles and driveshaft are aligned properly, thats what cause mine to go. it sounded like a bad cv joint it was so bad. the place i ordered it from was somewhere in NY. maybe Danny's driveshaft or soemthing like that. i will try and find the receipt to find the website for you if you havent found it by now.
diirkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
diirkd
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Centering yoke. I think welding and rebalancing is required. Not sure, no expert.

Does this help?
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driv...iveshaft-5.htm
Inner Yoke. I would order it assebled in one pc with the bearings already packed. real simple to replace if you're familiar with messing around with u-joints. just have to take the old ones out and just replaced the inner yoke remembering to use the new spring. Should solve the problem =)
diirkd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.