Squeaky wheel/bearing noise when turning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Squeaky wheel/bearing noise when turning

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-05-2004, 09:24 AM   #1
1987 Wrangler

Squeaky wheel/bearing noise when turning

I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee and when I turn the wheels either way, there is a rotating squeak. Squeak, pause, spueak, pause as I turn slowly. It is rythmic, so I am thinking maybe a wheel bearing?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

James

1987 Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2004, 11:08 AM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987 Wrangler
I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee and when I turn the wheels either way, there is a rotating squeak. Squeak, pause, spueak, pause as I turn slowly. It is rythmic, so I am thinking maybe a wheel bearing?

James

Bearings usually grind. Brakes usually squeak. I would raise the wheels and spin them by hand. You should be able to better locate the source of the sound that way.

HTH
Unread 09-05-2004, 08:07 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

If Jeep does one thing thatís great, then itís wheel bearings. They are over-designed and tough as nails; useless you submerge them. I have bought two new jeeps and never have I replaced the wheel bearings. BTW they are not serviceable.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 05:44 AM   #4
1987 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
Bearings usually grind. Brakes usually squeak. I would raise the wheels and spin them by hand. You should be able to better locate the source of the sound that way.

HTH
If it's the brakes, is it possible they would only squeak when turning?
Unread 09-06-2004, 10:27 AM   #5
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
If it's the brakes, is it possible they would only squeak when turning?
It's entirely possible.
The brake pads have a metal back that is up against a metal puck (the brake piston). The caliper is mounted to the wheel at an angle. When you turn the wheels, the camber changes. It is possible one or more of the brake pads is falling against the rotor and vibrating against the caliper piston. This is usually what produces squealing disc brakes. Take a look at the rotor and pad surfaces. Ensure they are not glazed or grooved. Take out the pads and inspect the backs for corrosion. There is a liquid compound you can buy at the autoparts store to stop disc brake squeal. Go ahead an apply it according to directions. Reassemble the brake. Don't forget to clean and lubricate the pins. This should cure your squealing problem.

HTH
Unread 09-06-2004, 04:50 PM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

As Warren has pointed out, the PINS are the most important part of a brake job. The caliper needs to move, so lube them up good.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2004, 01:15 PM   #7
1987 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
It's entirely possible.
The brake pads have a metal back that is up against a metal puck (the brake piston). The caliper is mounted to the wheel at an angle. When you turn the wheels, the camber changes. It is possible one or more of the brake pads is falling against the rotor and vibrating against the caliper piston. This is usually what produces squealing disc brakes. Take a look at the rotor and pad surfaces. Ensure they are not glazed or grooved. Take out the pads and inspect the backs for corrosion. There is a liquid compound you can buy at the autoparts store to stop disc brake squeal. Go ahead an apply it according to directions. Reassemble the brake. Don't forget to clean and lubricate the pins. This should cure your squealing problem.

HTH
I pulled the pads, put the red anti-noise goop liberally on the backs fo the pads, lubed the pins and still have the squeak. All zerk all well lubed as well. The 1998 Grand Cherokee only has about 73,000 miles on it.

I was hoping this would fix it, but no dice...any other ideas?
Unread 09-11-2004, 04:11 PM   #8
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I pulled the pads, put the red anti-noise goop liberally on the backs fo the pads, lubed the pins and still have the squeak. All zerk all well lubed as well. The 1998 Grand Cherokee only has about 73,000 miles on it.

I was hoping this would fix it, but no dice...any other ideas?

Dang, I hate it when that happens
OK, here's something to try that won't cost you any money.
When your engine is completely cool, remove your serpentine belt, start it up and turn your wheels. Expect it to be hard since you won't have power steering, but give it a go and see if the squeak disappears. Remember not to run it too long, since you won't have fan or water pump.

HTH
Unread 09-11-2004, 06:17 PM   #9
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

James
Just a thought, have you looked at the front universal's?
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2004, 06:28 PM   #10
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric
Just a thought, have you looked at the front universal's?
The only universals on the front of his Jeep are in the double cardon on the rear of the driveshaft. All else up front is CV.
Unread 09-12-2004, 05:11 AM   #11
1987 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
Dang, I hate it when that happens
OK, here's something to try that won't cost you any money.
When your engine is completely cool, remove your serpentine belt, start it up and turn your wheels. Expect it to be hard since you won't have power steering, but give it a go and see if the squeak disappears. Remember not to run it too long, since you won't have fan or water pump.

HTH
What will this tell me if the squeak disappears with the belt removed like you suggest?

Thanks.
James
Unread 09-12-2004, 07:05 AM   #12
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
What will this tell me if the squeak disappears with the belt removed like you suggest?

Thanks.
James

That you have bad bearings in a rotating component such as the power steering pump or alternator or idler pulley.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.