Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

squeaking sound coming from right front wheel?

19K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jeep_zj98 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a issue with my Jeep GC 4.0L Laredo from 1999. There is this squeaking noise which is coming from the right front wheel. I can hear it when when I put the car in "D" and let it roll slowly, without using the brakes. When I speed up the noise seems to get less, but might be still there. some more info:

- it happens when driving straight, so not only when turning.
- it doesnt stop after for example half an hour driving
- its only the right front wheel
- if I speed up and then slow down again the noise returns

What can this be and what would it cost to repair?

appreciate your advice.

Thnks,

RMF

#6 ·
.0i was about to ask the same question my right front wheel squeeks in the same manner. thinkin it may be a bad wheel bearing. but now that you mention teh low pad thing i may just go check that out as well.

in the second post someone mentioned you should greese them up next oil change. well what do you mean by "them"

#9 ·
RMF001 said:
Have had a better look and found metal dust when looking in the wheel. Does that mean the wheel bearing needs to be changed? Does anyone have a idea what it costs more or less?

THnks!
You sure it's not metallic brake pad dust? I doubt metal dust could make it out of the sealed wheel bearing, but hey anything's possible.

If the lugnuts aren't tight enough, the holes in the wheel will 'vibrate' against the wheel studs and make aluminum dust. This will ruin the wheel too. :)

#13 · (Edited)
Ok could be a bad caliper or wheel bearing. Do this first. I'll be general because I don't know the WJ brakes.

Pull the caliper away and remove the caliper pins and the rubber boots. Pinch and twist to get the boots out. Clean the pins and boots and blow them dry. Take a blueberry hone or a wire brush to the caliper pin holes thoroughly. Important because gunk accumulates there and binds the movement of the calipers. Reinstall the boots and then use a brush to get plenty of brake grease inside the boots. Lube the pins too. DO NOT use the Permatex black brake grease...it's junk, use the blue stuff. Install the pins. Verify the pins move very easily back and forth.

Now check the sliders for smoothness. If the brake pad has worn grooves in the sliders, smooth the sliders with a die grinder and medium pad. Lube the sliders and put it all back together. Good chance the squeaking will be gone.

#14 ·
I get the same noise but every now and then.. and at speeds lower than 40 mph. When it does, it is annoying. I have never been able to track which side it comes from., but definitely from the front.

I thot it cud be wheel bearings... but it makes occasional noise... so I ruled it out. I think i get that noise when I take twisty roads.

Next time I hear the noise, i will prolly look at the caliper pins to make sure they are greased. The pads are pretty new... like 13k miles new. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.