Squeaking noise coming from behind dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Squeaking noise coming from behind dash

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
oneillsean

Squeaking noise coming from behind dash

I have an irritating squeaking noise coming from inside the dash at 20-60 mph. It seems to occur more when the wheels wobble (especially at between 40-50 mph) but also occurs at other speeds when driving on a rough road or hitting a bump. Doesn't sound like a speedometer cable (I'm not even sure the '96 ZJ's have speedo cables anymore). I bought some silicone lubricant spray and tried spraying any metal to metal contact areas that were accessible without taking off the dash/instrument panel. There don't seem to by any loose screws. I can only stand covering the squeaky noise with the radio for so long before my ears need a rest.

Was curious if anyone else had this problem.

Also curious how big a job it is to take off the dashboard so I can start spraying lube on squeak culprits. I.e., is there anything to watch out for or parts that are needed before tearing out the dash - this is my daily driver so I can't afford to have it sit overnight while I run to the dealer to buy parts.

Any help is appreciated.

oneillsean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2006, 02:13 PM   #2
jdenzer

Had the same problem. I have taken the front bezel for the instrument panel off several times, to install/replace the radio. While driving I noticed an annoying squeaking comming from the dashboard. Started pressing and holding parts of the dash while driving to isolate the noise. Turned out to be the front instrument panel bezel. Behind the bezel there a tiny nipples w/ rubber caps that keep the bezel from rubbing against the inside of the dash. Your nipples might be missing the rubber caps or broken. I would check that.
jdenzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #3
oneillsean

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out.
Unread 08-24-2006, 06:42 PM   #4
oneillsean

Took almost the whole dash out including all bezels, instrument panels, knee panel, glove box, dashboard, defroster shield...everything short of the whole metal support structure that bolts to the firewall. I tightened all accessible screws and bolts and sprayed silicone lubricant over any part that could conceivably cause the noise. But the squeaking noise is still there.

I'm curious how difficult it is to take out the metal support and take off the heater/AC stuff? Anyone ever try it?
Unread 08-24-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

So I take it your nipples where not getting chafed

Removing the HVAC is am all day job. I would only attempt it during the weekend just in case it takes longer.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
JamesEric

This is a long shot but I had the same problem. It turned out to be the Tranny dipstick. It just needed to be pushed down in the tube. This was on my '94 JZ 5.2.
JamesEric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2006, 11:55 PM   #7
joeyschribar

ive got that problem, this MOST LIKELY isnt it, but give your air intake houseing a shake, see if it squeaks, hahaha, you never know, it may and if so, tighten down thoose bolts!
joeyschribar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2006, 07:48 PM   #8
oneillsean

No chafed nipples...

Apparently my nipples are not chafing - not on the instrument bezel anyway.

Thanks for the advice on the HVAC, and for checking out the air intake and the tranny dipstick. I'll check those next.
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Easywolf32
2006 WK 

Hi,

I have the exact same squeeking problem coming from somewhere inside the dash I am sure. It definitely does not feel as if it's coming from underneath the car or inside the engine. Does anyone know what the heck is this noise??
Easywolf32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Push in/out slightly along the top edge of the plastic cluster window, hear a squeak? Push in, wedge a couple of toothpicks in the crack where it squeaks the most, see if it stops. This is a problem on many vehicles, not only Jeeps.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.