Squeaking at low speeds?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Squeaking at low speeds??

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Squeaking at low speeds??

Ok so this problem started as a small squeak hardly noticeable and became much loud and way more irritating and now I need to figure out whats causing it. I cant pinpoint it so I was hoping someone has had the same issue and can help.

It only squeaks when going slow and is louder when my foot is lightly on the gas. Dosnt get louder when I hit my breaks so I dont think thats the issue (I have all brand new pads)

MrMoosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

If it's brake related, it could be the new pads are just squeaky? Have you ensured they aren't catching anywhere? What condition are the rotors in? I'm thinking it might be the new pads are either catching/sticking somewhere or are just squeaky pads. Were they name brand or some of the cheaper ones? I have horrible luck with the cheapos squeaking and squealing when damp or dusty and cold
If it's suspension related, have you recently replaced any bushings? Do you have Poly bushings installed? How are your springs(and related parts) and shock tubes, are they getting worn out? Are you getting due to replace bushings on the control arms or track bars?
Those are typically the go to places to find squeaking. If new parts aren't the cause, it's old ones wearing out or need adjusting. Without it being narrowed down a little more, I can't offer much more help than that, sorry..
Best of luck getting it! I'm sure someone here will know it as soon as they read this and let ya know haha
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Listen to it and figure out if it sounds rotational. If it is then remove your front drive shaft and see if the sound goes away. If it doesn't then it could be your wheel bearings.

I would start there.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post
If it's brake related, it could be the new pads are just squeaky? Have you ensured they aren't catching anywhere? What condition are the rotors in? I'm thinking it might be the new pads are either catching/sticking somewhere or are just squeaky pads. Were they name brand or some of the cheaper ones? I have horrible luck with the cheapos squeaking and squealing when damp or dusty and cold
If it's suspension related, have you recently replaced any bushings? Do you have Poly bushings installed? How are your springs(and related parts) and shock tubes, are they getting worn out? Are you getting due to replace bushings on the control arms or track bars?
Those are typically the go to places to find squeaking. If new parts aren't the cause, it's old ones wearing out or need adjusting. Without it being narrowed down a little more, I can't offer much more help than that, sorry..
Best of luck getting it! I'm sure someone here will know it as soon as they read this and let ya know haha
Thanks for the info I appreciate it!. All my suspension components are less than a year old. (Replaced most of it when I lifted it) and im almost positive its not brake related. The squeaking gets faster as I accelerate and its way too fast at about 8mph to be a brake issue.
Unread 04-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Listen to it and figure out if it sounds rotational. If it is then remove your front drive shaft and see if the sound goes away. If it doesn't then it could be your wheel bearings.

I would start there.
Yes its rotational. And my front driveshaft is already removed
Unread 04-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

OK then, take the front tires off and check the brakes. Maybe the dust shield is rubbing or something simple like that. Are you sure it's not coming from the engine bay?
Unread 04-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
OK then, take the front tires off and check the brakes. Maybe the dust shield is rubbing or something simple like that. Are you sure it's not coming from the engine bay?
Im pretty sure. Its not a belt squeak. Almost sounds like its coming from the rear driveshaft area or transmission. And like I said its spinning way too fast ay low speeds to be breaks. Like it probably squeaks about 10 times whitin 1 tire rotation if thay makes any sense
Unread 04-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Well, looks like you narrowed it down. Does sound like a drive shaft the way you described it. Remove the rear shaft and I be the sound will go away.
Unread 04-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Sounds like rear driveshaft u joints, take the rear ds out and install the front just for a test drive.
Unread 04-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #10
RemingtonRifles
1998 ZJ 

it could be ur belt or the serpertine. also the water pumps like to do this as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoosecakes View Post
Ok so this problem started as a small squeak hardly noticeable and became much loud and way more irritating and now I need to figure out whats causing it. I cant pinpoint it so I was hoping someone has had the same issue and can help.

It only squeaks when going slow and is louder when my foot is lightly on the gas. Dosnt get louder when I hit my breaks so I dont think thats the issue (I have all brand new pads)
RemingtonRifles is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.