Squeak! Squeak! Squeak! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Squeak! Squeak! Squeak!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
WiLieR
1999 WJ 

Squeak! Squeak! Squeak!

99WJ. It's driving me nuts! The back driver's side axle emits a constant "squeak squeak squeak" sound as it rolls along. It is speed sensitive (occurs more often as speed increases) and does so if the brakes are applied or not applied. At first I thought it was the rear brakes squeaking away, so I did the usual stuff; anti-squeal on the back of the pads, made sure everything was tight, checked the rotors to see if they were warped. None of this has affected this squeak. I completely ruled out brake squeak today as I drove down the side of Lowes and listened to the squeaker and applied the brake in a moderate fashion. It squeaked till it came to a complete stop, the same squeak squeak squeak it has been doing.

There are no signs of any metal to metal contact at all on anything that rotates back there. I looked at the backing plate (dust shield), the e-brake shoes, inside the rotor where the e-brake applies, behind the axle shaft hub, everywhere I could think of to look and even checked out the studs in the axle to make sure all of them were tight. I have tried putting the WJ in the air and listening while it was in drive, but unless the rear has weight on the tires there is no squeaking at all. I rotated the tires hoping it was the tire making the noise but the squeak didn't move to the passenger side front. Unless I have a family of mice going for a joy ride in my rear tire then I am out of ideas. Anyone else able to point me in a new direction?

Unread 09-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
Gerald K4NHN
1996 ZJ 

If the Squeak is faster than the tire rotation, check the rear U-joint
Gerald K4NHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
ynotyj

Check with Yardman Harry. I think his squeak turned out to be a mouse.

His: 1996 ZJ, 4.0 Selec-Trac
Hers: 1993 ZJ Woody 5.2

Ours: 2004 Chrysler Town & Country Touring. Sweet.

Previous Jeeps: 86 XJ, 92 XJ, 95 YJ, 87 YJ
ynotyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynotyj
Check with Yardman Harry. I think his squeak turned out to be a mouse.

A mouse trap cured that real fast!

Harry

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
rflem550

Sounds like an issue I had with my 02. Turned out to be a bad axel bearing that i had to have replaced. Mine was in the front though...
rflem550 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.