Sputtering while Driving at 40mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sputtering while Driving at 40mph

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 11-05-2005, 02:56 PM   #1
jeeplovr

Sputtering while Driving at 40mph

I read a few articles that talked about the 2005 V6 GC experiencing some sputtering around 40 mph that deals with the V6 tranny and the torque converter. Anyone have this happen with the 4.7 V8? I don't know if that is just a point that is between gears but when I try just feathering the gas around 40 I seem to get that problem.

jeeplovr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2005, 10:34 PM   #2
Jeep-Tech1

It could be the e-13 recall problem. Moisture getting into the trans causing the torque converter to shutter.
Jeep-Tech1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
kipper

I just got a WK, 2005 GC V8 5.7Hemi and it sputters at around 35mph also. I was going to have them check it out but thought I would check here to see if anyone else is having or had the same type issue with this engine. I know there is a tsb for the 3.7 and tranny issue, but not finding much on the 5.7 and this issue. I had thought it may be just between gears but the sputter lasts too long even if I give it more gas to go faster. It finally gets out of it after I reach around 45 but that don't seem right to me. Any suggestions will be great. thanks

Last edited by kipper; 11-06-2005 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: show sig.
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2005, 06:32 PM   #4
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

It is not common for the 4.7 liter engine to do this at all. What year is your jeep?

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
kipper

As posted..... 05 and it is not a 4.7
Unread 11-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I was commenting to the original poster.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #7
kipper

sorry about that
Unread 11-07-2005, 08:21 AM   #8
Jeep-Tech1

and BTW that depends on if it has the nag transmission in it or not.
Jeep-Tech1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #9
jeeplovr

I have the 4.7 V8 Engine and it is supposed to be linked up with the new 545RFE tranny. It seems that this only happens when I am simply cruising around 40 mph and if I kept it there it does it pretty much the whole time. It doesn't happen when I am jumping on the gas at all.
Unread 11-07-2005, 07:05 PM   #10
jeeplovr

Thanks for the replies as well. Probably have to take it in for a checkup. I'll keep you posted on the results but let me know please if any of you get your's checked.
Unread 12-19-2005, 06:45 AM   #11
jeeplovr

Any updates on this?

I have still been unable to have this thing checked by the dealer but wondering if anyone with the new 05 GC has experienced the shuddering around 35 to 40 mph with the 4.7 V8. It doesn't appear to be reported by enough to create a TSB or recall notice. But it is very much a part of my V8 with the 545RFE Tranny. Thanks for any updated info and I plan on having this checked tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.