Sputtering and miss - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sputtering and miss

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
Jake33391
1994 ZJ 

Sputtering and miss

I have a 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo inline 6 4.0 4wd 175k. I have a strong sputter and feels like a miss. This started small a month ago and got bad real fast. It also started after my last oil change, I switched from 10w-30 to 10w-40 high miles (I live phoenix)I also put a new oil filter on and changed the valve cover gasket. after that was done I went on a long drive into the dessert and I started to Hear a rattle when I accelerate real hard, but couldn't find the source. Note I replaced the cat 6 months ago, but I still banged on it and no rattle but I do realize it could be a clogg but dout it since the cat is still kinda new. But then it sputtering and shaking started mostly around 1500 to 2000 rpm and does it too while Idleing. I checked the oil and noticed it was all gone so I looked for leaks and only found a small one from the oil filter and yes I did take the seal off from the old one, so I did another Oil change and put a new oil filter on a K&G, and also replace the oil pressure switch while I was at it. I also noticed the Injectors sound like they are trying to hard, so I put Injector cleaner in the Gas but still no difference, I still am sputtering and shaking. Im going to check the spark plugs next and Fuel filter and pump, but with that oil disappearing that fast I feel like they my be fine. Any guess on what this could be? Just Empty Every Pocket!!!

Jake33391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Jake33391
1994 ZJ 

Also other things I noticed Smoke coming from exhaust ( greyish white) can't really tell if any liquid is coming out, but Getting a burning smell, Not like bad eggs maybe coolent or oil. Only when I accelerate from a stop.
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

how many miles did it take to use the oil? it can only go three places: through a seal, into the coolant, or into the combustion chamber either through the rings or sucked into the intake. oil smoke is blue.

is the crankcase vent working correctly? take the air tube and filter off and look for oil.

it may be time for a compression test. be sure to check each cylinder dry and wet. also be sure to remove all plugs at once. then if one reads low, install adjoining plugs and check again. if compression rises on test cylinder the head gasket is bad. If you've never done it before search "Compression test" in Youtube

i would go ahead and check the fuel pressure too.

for a discussion of other things that may be ailing it, click the green link below.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
Jake33391
1994 ZJ 

Im sure it has a comperssion issue, because Im rolling backwards when I'm in park, up hill. But made a discovery today when I tested the fuil pressure Regulator (which was fine) I decided to Pull the Vaccum Hose on the Power Booster and the sputter and shaking stopped and ran fine, then when I put it back on, the engine stumbled and went back to sputtering and shaking. What could that be all about?
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #5
Jake33391
1994 ZJ 

And not even 2 miles
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

if you plugged the line you took off the booster and the problem went away, the booster is bad.

if you didnt plug line and it ran better while sucking air, it's beyond me what's wrong with it. maybe someone else has an idea.

what usually happens when you pull a vacuum line off is the PMC adjusts the fuel system to the compensate for the change in intake pressure
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Jake33391
1994 ZJ 

I going to try the compression test by starting it with the raditor cap off and see if it shoots out water. Hopefully I don't have a blow head gasket, and I haven't over heated yet if so, thank god. but Ill still let you know either way. And alls I did was just pull the line off and the engine spead up and then Idled just fine. I did feel the the Line was still sucking air strong, Ill didn't notice much difference though when I cover the line when I did it. Ill try again tomorrow. But If the Booster is bad what would that have to do with me losing oil.
Unread 04-02-2014, 04:22 AM   #8
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

the brake booster is probably not an issue. do you have any oil in the air intake tube or throttle body?

it's hard to lose that much oil in 2 minutes. did you use six quarts and a filter?
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
Jake33391
1994 ZJ 

Yes I used 6 quartz and changed the filter Im down about 2 quartz now seems like Im running rich. Did the compression test and it turned out to be good, and its not spuddering when its cold only after giving it gas. And haven't checked the whole intake yet, filter is clean though. I had to get my bike up and running so I could have tranportion so didn't get to do everything I wanted to check. But I have been doing research about the PMC. why it adjust the intake pressure when I pulled off the vaccum hose and what its telling me is it might be a bad Sensor some where. And when I plugged the port were the Vaccum hose the Jeep died and had to give it gas to start it.
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

no sensor will cause oil consumption. get it running and pull the ccv line off of the air intake tube and hold your thumb over it. does it suck? if not, pull the vacuum line off the ccv elbow on back and run a small piece of wire in there to try to unclog it.

how does an injector sound when it's trying too hard?

i have to ask the obvious... is the check engine light on?
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #11
Jake33391
1994 ZJ 

no check Engine light on, but I will do that. I think its only one injector but its hard to pin point even while using a screw driver to listen with. But they are just ticking really loud. but they did stop when I removed the vaccum line. and Checked the Regulator again, and waited alot longer this last time but its not shooting out fuel after I pulled the Vaccum line from it and its not stumbling when I put it on.
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #12
Jake33391
1994 ZJ 

but the Sensor could cause the sputtering
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
Jake33391
1994 ZJ 

and yes the Check engine light works I have also one of the screens that the PCM sends codes too, but Its not reading anything. Noticed a pulling is going out, that could of been the rattle I heard when this all started
Unread 04-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #14
Jake33391
1994 ZJ 

Check the Intake today, alittle oil in it, but only what to be exspected. And it didn't suck that much
Unread 04-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #15
ratchinson
1996 ZJ 

Think maybe the PCV Valve is wrong style for this engine? Install genuine PCV and see if that helps the oil consumption, maybe sucking oil right from under valve cover. Wouldn't be enough to see at idle.

But under load, can suck a lot from oil moving thru push rods-Good luck
ratchinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.