Sportrack Expedition Trunk Bike Rack on a WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Sportrack Expedition Trunk Bike Rack on a WJ

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
funpig
2002 WJ 

Sportrack Expedition Trunk Bike Rack on a WJ

I have an older Sportrack trunk mounted 3 bike rack which I used on my 94 ZJ.

Here is a link to the current version of the rack which is similar:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...%2BCarrier.jsp

On my old ZJ, I used to mount the bottom tubing of the bike rack so that it sat on the lower ledge of the rear license plate area. It held very well.

Now I have an '02 WJ. It does not have the same ledge. The only possble places to mount the bike rack would be on top of the bumper (which would make it sit way too low and then I would not be able to open the hatch with the rack still mounted). The second option is to mount it on top of the rear hatch door handle (this keeps the bikes up higher and I can still open the hatch while the rack is mounted, bikes removed of course).

My question is has anybody mounted their bike rack on the rear hatch door handle. Is it strong enough? Does it cause any problems?

I know that a hitch rack would be better, but I really don't want to spend the money. I only use the bike rack once a year on our annual trip and my old rack is still in like-new condition.

I am going on our annual trip next week, so any advice would be appreciated.

Unread 08-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Chatham036
1997 ZJ 

i adjusted mine to fit in where my license plate is pushed back and i put it on the bottom ledge. No problems what so ever.
1997 zj / K&N Cold Air Intake / 2"1/2 bb lift / AirAid Throttle body Spacer / 31x10.5x15 / Edge Throttle Body / Adj. Front/Rear T bars / Edge Chip / Gibson Header / HiFlow Cat / Custom bent exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo Muffler / Optima Yellow Top

[QUOTE=ef1992;7345160]The wheels REALLY can give you more hp???
[/QUOTE]
Chatham036 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
Chatham036
1997 ZJ 

i take that back, i had some weird clips and it scratched my paint
1997 zj / K&N Cold Air Intake / 2"1/2 bb lift / AirAid Throttle body Spacer / 31x10.5x15 / Edge Throttle Body / Adj. Front/Rear T bars / Edge Chip / Gibson Header / HiFlow Cat / Custom bent exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo Muffler / Optima Yellow Top

[QUOTE=ef1992;7345160]The wheels REALLY can give you more hp???
[/QUOTE]
Chatham036 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
funpig
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham036 View Post
i adjusted mine to fit in where my license plate is pushed back and i put it on the bottom ledge. No problems what so ever.
Yes. You can do this on a ZJ. I am asking about the WJ. The only place I can rest the bottom tube is on the rear hatch door handle. I want to know if any other WJ owner has done this and whether or not it causes any damage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.