Split Fire Plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Split Fire Plugs

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-14-2005, 12:40 PM   #1
MatthewWoodhead

Split Fire Plugs

Hello

Has anyone tried these Split Fire Plugs as a way of improving MPG?

My 1998 Grand is in the UK where fuel if over £5 a gallon about $8 so owch! Ihyave an LPG conversion which works well that reduces the fuel cost by about 40%. Thininking of buying these plugs on Ebay... anyone tried them?

Also, no one has been brave enough to reply to my post of 2 days ago... I have a 1998 Grand Cherokee Limited with an Overdrive lock out button on the dash. My Automatic gearbox is failing and I want to replace the AutoBox, Torque Converter and Transfer box with a good second hand one. Trying to find one for the Grand Cherokee is very hard in the UK, I have found a Cherokee Autobox & Transfer Box..

Doe the Autobox and Transfer box from a 1995 4L Cherokee fit a 1998 4L Grand Cherokee?

Have fun everyone.

Matt

MatthewWoodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
dos0711
1995 YJ Wrangler 

FOR RELEASE: FEBRUARY 11, 1997

SPLITFIRE SETTLES FTC CHARGES:
ECONOMY, EFFICIENCY CLAIMS ARE DECEPTIVE

In the latest in a series of FTC cases targeting deceptive ads for products that promise to improve automobile performance and economy, SplitFire, Inc., has agreed to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that economy, efficiency and improved performance claims for its spark plugs were false or unsubstantiated. The agreement to settle the FTC charges will bar SplitFire from making deceptive claims about fuel economy, emissions, horsepower or cost savings. The company also will be barred from misrepresenting the results of tests, studies or research and from misrepresenting testimonials.

SplitFire, Inc., is a Northbrook, Illinois-based marketer of nationally advertised, premium priced spark plugs that feature a v shape it terms, "split electrode."

SplitFire advertises that use of its patented spark plugs results in significantly better fuel economy, greater horsepower, lower emissions and cost savings than use of either conventional spark plugs or platinum-tipped spark plugs. According to the complaint detailing the FTC charges, SplitFire ads stated:

* "Equipped with conventional spark plugs, up to 15% of the combustion cycles in a modern engine end up in 'partial misfires.’ SplitFire’s larger flame kernel helps reduce partial misfires, and experts say it helps improve: Performance, Economy, Emissions." and
* "It only costs more 'til you use It," and;
* "SplitFire conducts continuous consumer surveys to constantly monitor 'real life’ performance in all vehicle types. . . 70% reported a gas mileage increase of from 1 to 6 more miles per gallon."

The SplitFire ads also featured consumer endorsements making claims such as, "They’ll pay for themselves, basically, in the first 6 months you own 'em," according to the FTC complaint.

The FTC alleged that SplitFire did not possess and rely upon a reasonable basis to support the claims, that SplitFire’s claims that surveys confirm gas mileage increases were false, and that Splitfire did not have a reasonable basis to claim that the testimonials used in its ads reflect the typical or ordinary experience of consumers who use SplitFire spark plugs.

The consent order to settle the charges would prohibit SplitFire from making fuel economy, emissions, horsepower or cost savings claims without competent and reliable scientific evidence to support them. It would also prohibit misrepresentations about the existence, contents, validity, results, conclusions or interpretations of any test or study. Finally, in connection with testimonials, the settlement would require that SplitFire have scientific evidence to substantiate claims in endorsements or testimonials; that Splitfire disclose what the typical or ordinary consumer experience would be; or that the company disclose the limited applicability of the endorser’s experience -- that is, that consumers should not expect to experience similar results.

The Commission vote to accept the consent agreement for public comment was 5-0. The proposed agreement will be placed on the public record for a 60-day public comment period. Comments should be addressed to the FTC, Office of the Secretary, 6th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580.

NOTE: A consent agreement is for settlement purposes only and does not constitute an admission of a law violation. When the Commission issues a consent order on a final basis, it carries the force of law with respect to future actions. Each violation of such an order may result in a civil penalty of $11,000.

Copies of the complaint, consent agreement and a consumer alert, "Penny wise and Pump Fuelish," are available on the Internet at http://www.ftc.gov and from the FTC’s Public Reference Branch, Room 130, 6th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580; 202-326-2222; TTY for the hearing impaired 202-326-2502. Consent agreements subject to public comments also are available by calling 202-326-3627. To find out the latest news as it is announced, call the FTC NewsPhone recording at 202- 326-2710. FTC news releases and other materials also are available on the Internet at the FTC’s World Wide Web site at: http://www.ftc.gov (no period).

MEDIA CONTACT:
Claudia Bourne Farrell
Office of Public Affairs
202-326-2181

STAFF CONTACT:
Laura Fremont
San Francisco Regional Office
901 Market Street, Suite 570
San Francisco, California 94103
415-356-5270

(FTC File No. 952 3029)

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)==@=)_)
dos0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2005, 04:08 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

There is absolutely no way to improve gas mileage. Your mileage will decrease if the engine is not tune-up up (especially the O2 sensor) and if you stomp on the accerator.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Whats an accerator?
Unread 11-14-2005, 04:16 PM   #5
mr_user

Like I tell everyone asking about aftermarket plugs, the Jeep engineers used the OEM plugs for a reason. Keep on the Champion Truck Plugs and don't believe this nonsense hoopla.

As far as the XJ swap, I am not sure if the XJ tranny will fit. It would be much easier for you to find a junkyard ZJ and grab an NP242 transfer case mated to a 42re tranny. With the cherokee swap, the bellhousing design is most likely different and you will need new driveshafts as the length of the XJ and ZJ are very different from the x-case to the rear diff.

Matt

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2005, 05:17 PM   #6
Test
2007 WK 

Complete garbage.
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 11:55 AM   #7
MatthewWoodhead

Thank You

Thank you everyone for your help.

Did not know about Plugs here in the UK!

And also many thanks for the help on the Transmission.

Have fun everyone...

Matt
MatthewWoodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2005, 05:59 PM   #8
sailingnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test
Complete garbage.

yup the plug is made by autolite (took a class) junk..
My first jeep
thanks Jim ;)

Colorado Jeep Club Member
sailingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2005, 12:24 AM   #9
geeves66

yep

I have tried them and if you like throwing away money, you should try them too. After I took them out to compare to regular again, I went to a car show and there was a display 8 different spark plugs lined up for you to physicaly see the spark. At low RPMs, the spark jumps around and does the song and dance they tell you about. but at higher RPMs, the spark archs in the same spot just like all the rest. the bad part is that it also (at higher RPMs) made a weaker spark. I am not saying this is true, I am just passing along what I saw. And that's my 2 cents...
geeves66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2005, 02:06 AM   #10
Decipticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
Whats an accerator?

Dude...its right next to the flux capacitor

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.