speedometer calibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > speedometer calibration

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 09-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
gregsteele1979

speedometer calibration

I just put larger tires on my 2000 WJ. How do I recalibrate the speedo? It has the quadratrac II transfer case. It is as simple as replacing a gear in the tcase? Do I have to pay the dealer to do it because it is computer related?

Thanks

gregsteele1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
salc1

i think u can do it, 2006 and up star scan@ dealer i have a chart some wear for the diffent color speedo drive ill see if i can find it tomarrow itll be w/ part numbers, if i cant find it i downloaded it from jp mag
salc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
salc1

new parts last longer, sometimes?
salc1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

Isn't that only good for ZJs?

Don't WJs have a different process?

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
mailforjon
2005 WK 

im almost positive thats for ZJs only. i had to do it in my old ZJ and it was a little plastic gear thingy that swapped out in like 20 min.

never heard of this for the WJ. isnt it done electronically?

-2005 WK 5.7 Limited [DD]
-1999 WJ 4.7 Limited [SOLD]
-1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited [SOLD]
-1996 ZJ 5.2 Laredo [SOLD]
-1994 ZJ 4.0 Laredo [SOLD]
-1993 XJ 2.5 [SOLD]
mailforjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

Yeah, I know for a fact that's for ZJs because I've done mine before using that table. It just struck me odd that it was brought up for a WJ...I think it's electronic too...

If my memory serves me right, something with the Anti-Lock Brake Sensors?

Unread 09-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

The WJ gets its speed signal from the ABS tone rings on the axle shafts not the TC. Therefore, the aforementioned T-case speedo gear swap does not apply.

What size tires did you put on? The dealer can adjust your speedo to the largest tire size that came stock (maybe a little bit more, IDK) to get it a little bit closer, or your other option is the Superlift Speedo Recalibrator http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...oducts_id/1762

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #8
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHC2000WJ View Post
The WJ gets its speed signal from the ABS tone rings on the axle shafts not the TC. Therefore, the aforementioned T-case speedo gear swap does not apply.

What size tires did you put on? The dealer can adjust your speedo to the largest tire size that came stock (maybe a little bit more, IDK) to get it a little bit closer, or your other option is the Superlift Speedo Recalibrator http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...oducts_id/1762
A 31" tire and my speedo is perfectly calibrated to my GPS.

But rumor is that the Odometer will be reading low.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

So how would he get this done? I called up some local Jeep dealerships and they said that they don't do that there.

Weird I thought?

Unread 09-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

they do, if they have a drb3 which the are required to do they can, they just dont want to, tell them to change your pinion factor
Unread 01-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

So I took it to the Local Jeep Dealership, and they tried to re calibrate the speedometer for my new tires (245/70/17) and after 2 hours they came back saying they couldn't do it. They said the Pinion would only go so low, then reset to the factory default. They apparently tried multiple times...

He told me they set it to the lowest they could get it (which is less than half of what it should be with the new tires) and didn't charge me anything for it. I tried using my GPS to see how much better it was, but it still looked to be about 3mph off.

I don't care about the speedometer as much as the odometer displaying the wrong miles.

Any thoughts? Its not like I upgraded to HUGE tires, but even if I did...come on its Jeep...you would think it should be possible??

Unread 01-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
mlozano

Hello All.

I have the same problem.

I have a 2004 WJ Overland and have installed 33" tires. I need to reprogram the speedometer. How can i calculate the correct Ring/pinion and tire size setup?

In the dealer they can only adjust to some tire sizes a little larger than stock, but if i change to the larger tire size available in the computer and modify also the R&P Ratio maybe i can set up to the correct spedometer.

Anybody knows the available options for tires and R&P in the programmer?

Thanks

Mariano

UTV Polaris Ranger RZR 2008
mlozano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
Ryno_WJ
2000 WJ 

Reviving this thread in hopes someone knowledgeable can chime in...I just put 265/75R16 on my WJ Limited. I found this thread that states the electronic speedo on a WJ uses the ABS tone ring signal to generate the speedometer output.

Question is can the computer be programmed to adjust for the slower turning tires at a given speed? e.g. is the WJ computer programable to set a different parameter for rear axle ratio or ? to trick it into reading the ABS signal and generating an accurate speed output?

I saw the link for an inline translator, just trying to fix the speedo on the cheap.
Ryno_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno_WJ View Post
Reviving this thread in hopes someone knowledgeable can chime in...I just put 265/75R16 on my WJ Limited. I found this thread that states the electronic speedo on a WJ uses the ABS tone ring signal to generate the speedometer output.

Question is can the computer be programmed to adjust for the slower turning tires at a given speed? e.g. is the WJ computer programable to set a different parameter for rear axle ratio or ? to trick it into reading the ABS signal and generating an accurate speed output?

I saw the link for an inline translator, just trying to fix the speedo on the cheap.
a dealer can fine tune the speedo but huge differences can not be adjusted for. The only thing that will effect speedo on a wj is tire size, it does not care about transmission, tc or gear ratios since speed comes form the abs tone ring at the end of the axle. The only real fix is the programmable devices that go for about $250.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #15
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

FALSE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsconver View Post
a dealer can fine tune the speedo but huge differences can not be adjusted for. The only thing that will effect speedo on a wj is tire size, it does not care about transmission, tc or gear ratios since speed comes form the abs tone ring at the end of the axle. The only real fix is the programmable devices that go for about $250.
i have done it when i worked at the dealer, with a drb3 on a wj, you imput the rolling circumference and that into the drb, for tire size changes,

the reason dealers say they cant is because they have a bunch of old farts working there that dont know how to do math or know they wont get paid good for it so they say they cant- IT CAN BE DONE AT ANY DEALER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.