Speedo and tach sleeping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Speedo and tach sleeping

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 04-03-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
jmanimal

Speedo and tach sleeping

I have a 5.9 with what is probably a wiring problem. I hate wires. Occasionally, driving along at 8 mpg or so and speedo and tach go to sleep for a bit. Usually comes back to life after about 10 sec. , but once stayed kaput for about 3 minutes. During the end of the outage, a mysterious red light right above the dash near the windshield came on. This has happened a handful of times in the last couple of years. Anyone have any suggestions on where to look?
Btw- I have checked around the fusebox for mud/water/burnt looking wires, but to no avail. Still crapping out occasionally.

Thanx

Note/edit: I don't know whether the other guages kick or not, the speed/tach are the biggest and I look at them more. I am not stupid, just dont look down much.

Last edited by jmanimal; 04-03-2004 at 10:41 PM..
jmanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2004, 02:53 PM   #2
1st95gc

I am guessing you are not the original owner of this jeep. Do you have a owners manual? That red light on the dash is for the alarm system. Are these the original gauges in the jeep or replacement ones. My oil gauge maxs out all the time except when I'm at a stop. A lot of people do not have a lot of faith in the gauges from the factory. When I'm idling my oil gauge works just fine after it warms up. Anything to do with wiring the dealer will cost you about 70-80 bucks just to run tests on it. If it only does it every great once in a while I would not worry about it.
1st95gc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2004, 09:36 PM   #3
jmanimal

Thank you for the input. I bought the Jeep a couple of years a go and do have the owners manual. When the alarm is armed and the jeep is off, the red light flashes. During the "Akron Triangle Syndrome" the light stayed on until the guages came back (factory guages) I found a thread somewhere that said to check the ground strap for similar problems. Will eyeball and adjust if needed. (if I can reach the other end of the dang thing)

btw- we sold the wifes 95 jgc lim and she drove a jetta glx for about 5 months. just ditched that and found a 01 tj I6 for her to play with. she wanna get muddy. looking for decent spots in wv if anyone knows some that I dont

thanks again
Jman
jmanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.