Speed sensor headache - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Speed sensor headache

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 09-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Nolvck
1996 ZJ 

Speed sensor headache

I have seen a million threads on these things but none of them have the answer to my problem. I had a code for output speed sensor so I replaced it as well as the vehicle speed sensor. I disconnected the battery to reset codes and it seemed to be fixed. Drove it down the road and light came back on and symptoms reappeared. Anyone know of a fix? Code still reads bad sensor, speedo still freaks, and it continues to stall/not shift properly. Any advice is helpful at this point. Thank you

I have a 4.0 with a 42RE...
Fluid levels are where they should be...

Nolvck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Nolvck
1996 ZJ 

Shows code p0720
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

As you can see in the diagram, it's a straight shot to the PCM, middle connector.

So you've got a wiring or connector problem, a bad PCM...not likely but not out of the question, or a bad replacement sensor... even more unlikely.

Check the harness from the transmission for chaffing or damage. Then pull and clean PCM connectors.
output-speed.jpg

ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
Nolvck
1996 ZJ 

I will give that a try this weekend. Do you think I can determine bad wiring with volt meter? Or do I have to just follow the wires?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.