Specific Electrical Problem...Any Ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Specific Electrical Problem...Any Ideas

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-10-2004, 08:16 AM   #1
JGillott

Specific Electrical Problem...Any Ideas

My wifes 1996 GC 5.2L has been having some electrical problems over the last year or so. Occasionally, the gauges will not work, or the message center will flash on and off. I have been searching for the cause of these problems without any results. I also took the GC to the dealer, and they were not able to find anything conclusive.

Now yesterday, the vehicle would not start for her. The battery was completely drained, and would not hold a charge. Finally, after getting it to start, I noticed that the rear window defroster was stuck on. Not only was it on, it wouldn't go off. Apparently, the defroster came on by itself and was draining the battery very quickly. Now, the defroster will go off when I pull the fuse, but comes back on when I put the fuse back in. The problem occurs with the ignition on or off.

Now, the defroster should be an ignition dependent circuit correct? What could cause an ignition dependent circuit to close without the ignition on? I know that it has to be a dead short or a stuck relay somewhere. Any Ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Justin

Unread 09-10-2004, 09:50 AM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

The rear window defogger relay control is in the body control module. This is what supplies power to the rear window defogger relay at pin 8 of the rear window defogger relay (looks like it should be a red wire). Pin 14 on the body control module.

HTH
Unread 09-12-2004, 08:01 PM   #3
JGillott

Thanks for getting me headed in the right direction

After doing some searches, it looks like the BCM could be the cause of most of the problems we are having.

Thanks again for your help

Justin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.